Historical Data Downloaded, but NOT working in Strategy Tester...

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if someone can help me with my issue. I use Alpari and have recently opened a VPS account. I use the server to trade live, but want to backtest on it also. I open MT4 and click download in the history center, and the data is actually downloaded to the root folder. However, when I click on the timeframe say EURUSD M1 it turns yellow, but says Database: 0 / 4100000 records. And strategy tester doesnt work. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Everyone.

See attached.

Files:

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Expanding the amount of historical data in MetaTrader 4 can sometimes be a tricky process given the amount of data required for an adequate back test. However, by following the instructions shown below you should be able to import the maximum amount of additional data, subject to the particular currency pair you are interested in.

• Firstly, update MetaTrader 4. To do this, download MetaTrader 4 from our web-site and install it. Once you launch the platform you should be given the option to update to the latest version (build 229, Nov 16th 2010) if you haven’t done so already
    • To attain optimal back-test results we recommend increasing the amount of data used. To do this, you will need to increase the ‘max bars in history’ in MetaTrader 4 by clicking on Too>Options>Charts and entering ‘9999999999999’. Be aware that using larger volumes of data will increase the load on your P
      • Go to the ‘History Center’ in MetaTrader 4 by clicking on Too>History Center.
        • Choose the time-frame for the particular currency pair you are interested in (for example, double-click on EURUSD|1 min) and press Download.MetaTrader 4 should now download the full history of M1 quotes for the specific currency pair selected directly from our History Center and import it into MT4, ready to be used for back-testing. We recommend using the shortest possible time-frame for back-tests as this tends to increase the accuracy of results.
        • If you would like more details regarding ‘Historical Data’ or MetaTrader4 in general, feel free to contact our Client Services team directly on +44 (0)20 7426 2900 or alternatively at support@alpari.co.uk Email: support@alpari.co.uk Tel: +44 (0)20 7426 2900 Fax: +44 (0)20 7426 2949 Alpari (UK) Ltd 5th Floor 201 Bishopsgate London EC2M 3

Is the data downloaded historical from Alpari servers or from MetaQuotes as the warning states during the download?

Thanks,

Thierry

Alpari (UK):
        Hi, Thank you for your post. Expanding the amount of historical data in MetaTrader 4 can sometimes be a tricky process given the amount of data required for an adequate back test. However, by following the instructions shown below you should be able to import the maximum amount of additional data, subject to the particular currency pair you are interested in.
        • Firstly, update MetaTrader 4. To do this, download MetaTrader 4 from our web-site and install it. Once you launch the platform you should be given the option to update to the latest version (build 229, Nov 16th 2010) if you haven’t done so already
          • To attain optimal back-test results we recommend increasing the amount of data used. To do this, you will need to increase the ‘max bars in history’ in MetaTrader 4 by clicking on Too>Options>Charts and entering ‘9999999999999’. Be aware that using larger volumes of data will increase the load on your P
            • Go to the ‘History Center’ in MetaTrader 4 by clicking on Too>History Center.
              • Choose the time-frame for the particular currency pair you are interested in (for example, double-click on EURUSD|1 min) and press Download.MetaTrader 4 should now download the full history of M1 quotes for the specific currency pair selected directly from our History Center and import it into MT4, ready to be used for back-testing. We recommend using the shortest possible time-frame for back-tests as this tends to increase the accuracy of results.
              • If you would like more details regarding ‘Historical Data’ or MetaTrader4 in general, feel free to contact our Client Services team directly on +44 (0)20 7426 2900 or alternatively at support@alpari.co.uk Email: support@alpari.co.uk Tel: +44 (0)20 7426 2900 Fax: +44 (0)20 7426 2949 Alpari (UK) Ltd 5th Floor 201 Bishopsgate London EC2M 3

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

The History Center in MetaTrader 4 contains Alpari (UK) data, but since the History Center is maintained by MetaQuotes (the developers of MetaTrader 4), you are effectively downloading the data from “MetaQuotes Software Corp.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact our Client Services team directly on +44 (0)20 7426 2900 or alternatively at support@alpari.co.uk

Kind regards,

Client Services

Email: support@alpari.co.uk
              Tel: +44 (0)20 7426 2900
              Fax: +44 (0)20 7426 2949

Alpari (UK) Ltd
              5th Floor
              201 Bishopsgate
              London
              EC2M 3AB

Reason: