Building a Trading Computer - page 2

Hi ut2DaMax,

Before investing lots of money into a new system, give PerfectDisk from Raxco a try (much better than Microsoft's). MetaTrader (and most charting software) is famous for fragmenting hard drives like crazy. I defragment once a week. If that doesn't do the trick, I suggest uninstalling and re-installing MetaTrder. A key symptom of fragmentation and/or installation issues is a delay when switching timeframes.

The components I used are from Switzerland, so it is entirely possible not all will be available in the US. When swapping alternatives, I highly recommend you consult with the shop which will build your PC - just to be safe. What follows is just my educated guess - until you try something in a particular combination, the truth is you simply do not know.

Power supply seems adequate, but I cannot comment on the noise it may generate. Temperature seems okay.

NVidia stuff is pretty good in general, though I've never used this motherboard specifically - ask your shop.

Q9550 is certainly a faster chip, if within your budget, though is known for being very memory-picky. Intel's website should have a list of compatible memory. May run a bit hotter too. I haven't (yet) found myself wishing for more processor speed with my Q6600... trading apps care mroe about RAm and video performance than CPU.

NXZT case was simply the one I liked the best form what the shop had available. The more bays you have the better, especially if considering removable drives and/or RAID. Ultimately, this is a personal choice - just make sure everything you want to have will fit.

RAM - DDR3 is faster (and mroe expensive) than DDR2. Just amke sure your choice is compatible with both motherboard and processor.

Graphics card seems comperable.

Seagate Barracudas are my favortie drives - have never had one fail on me yet. the difference between these two apepars to be the cache size. More is better, sure - though I'm not sure it is really THAT big a difference.

DVD drives - should be fine.

The ICY box is only needed if you plan to make your drives removable (and, if so, then you'll likely need a taller case with more bays). Try https://www.mql5.com/go?link=http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=285

64-bit Windows will allow for more than 4GB RAM (4GB minus the RAM on your graphics cards).

Have fun!

Black Knight

fxKnight.com

Black Knight,

Hi

You say:

A key symptom of fragmentation and/or installation issues is a delay when switching timeframes.

Well those are my PC Symptons ...... and it runs like it is deathly sick, like an old boy ready to kick it the last time .......lol When I change tf's it has a tissy fit and pop up's freeze everything momentarily! When I check the taskbar the CPU is at 100 usage most of the time. Thank u so much!

Can I ask u if most of the Items I have listed would accept Windows XP 64bit, and is it something u would recommend instead of 32bit?

Thanks for the tips! I really do appreciate it! I am going to get the de-fragmenter ....

but for the next system would still like to know if the Items I listed would be ok for ....... XP 64bit if u know. And if u think Meta Trader would work better with 64bit. Just like that extra assurance. OK I will check my items more 4 compatability. Right now I will work on this one to see if this takes care of this sick puppy! Something tells me u gave me the answer! You are good to think of this! IMO

I really do thank you!!!

ut2DaMax

Let's let Scorpion answer the 64 vs. 32-bit question, that's more his area... as far as I know, they should. Be prepared to replace some of your other peripherals, though... HP, for one, has yet to release 64-bit drivers for many of their printers.

If defragmentation doesn't work, try also uninstalling and re-installing MetaTrader.

Black Knight

fxKnight.com

Hi Black Knight,

and thank you for everything you helped me with.

I wonder if you could tell me if this Motherboard in the link below is

SLI Ready? A friend of mine seems to think it is by how the board is laid out. If so I want to get this for my motherboard for my system. I hope it works for crossfire and SLI.

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Thank you all very much & for the great thread!

ut2DaMax

Not sure, to be honest... I suggest writing to the manufacturer. However, I'm not entirely sure you want SLI (which i was under the impression was more a function of your graphics card). SLI lets you link multiple cards together for faster (3D) graphics processing on one monitor - useful if you're a hard-core gamer or a rendering studio. For trading, you rather want the cards separate, each dirving its set of monitors independently.

Black Knight

fxKnight.com

Guide for begginers

Files:
13.jpg  40 kb

Greeting trader

I am newbie, I am looking for virtual privat server provider for automation my trading, Could some one recomend me what provider is?

Hi Guys and Girls!

Glad I found your site; definitely need all the help I can get. I have experimented (to my expense) with Indicators and the like to find turning points etcetera. But alas when the Market is high it goes higher, when the Market is low it will go lower. The only method that can work is to spot Trend reversals by using Trend lines, especially on the daily and/or Four hour charts. But we are emotional beings we, I in particular does not wait for it to develop properly, I always find myself going against the Trend?

I would really appreciate some clever guru out there to assist me with an indicator that tells you: “Hi their ‘Monkey’, if you want to participate this Trend is ripe for reversal and has actually now opened up on the other side of your previous Trend and is busy establishing a new direction – Come along Buddy, I will make you famo

Lets have an EA or Indicator that can assist in decision making, please.

Regards,

Drikkie.

I wanted to add some information, not to criticize, but because the discussion thus far was lacking some pertinent caveats and could potentially lead persons to make purchasing decisions that would amount to a collossal waste of money.

All trading/finance application graphical displays and charts are done 100% in software using the CPU, RAM, and 2D GDI+ pipeline. There is no utilization of the 3D graphics pipeline by these and related applications. Therefore, the graphics hardware does nothing more than provide display output, which can be done just as well by the cheapest contemporary graphics cards on the market.

This fact is evidenced in the hardware used on many offerings from Falcon Trading Systems, such as the lowly GeForce 7300GS and Quadro NVS 290. The GeForce 7300GS commonly retails in the $35 ~ $40 range (less after rebate promotion). Although Quadro NVS 290 is considerably more expensive, it actually uses the same GPU as GeForce 8400GS, which also retails in the $35 ~ $40 range (8400GS is the replacement for 7300GS). Other than pricing, the only difference between any given Quadro GPU and its GeForce counterpart are the display drivers. Quadro display drivers have unique optimizations for professional graphics applications.

However, a considerable percentage of professional applications do not implement support for these optimizations, and thus do not benefit from them. This is equally true for ATI (AMD) professional products marketed under FireGL, FirePRO, and FireMV. Some Quadro and Fire models are capable of supporting more than two monitors per card, though, which is not offered on any GeForce or Radeon products to my knowledge.

The best parallel to a purpose-built trading workstation are professional workstations for graphics design and digital content creation. In spite of the seeming tie-in to graphics, graphics design workstations render the final output almost exclusively using the CPU (and RAM), not graphics hardware. The 3D graphics pipeline is often utilized for real-time preview (draft) modes, and even then most graphics design applications support relatively baseline hardware acceleration features that have been standard on practically all GPUs introduced in the past three or four years (7300GS and 8400GS would be adequate there in most cases, too). For a purpose-built trading workstation, the emphasis should be placed on CPU, RAM, and a fast storage subsystem. The emphasis for graphics hardware should be on supported feature set, not performance level. e.g. All GeForce 8 models have the same feature set, so a $300 8xxx model will offer no benefit over a $30 8xxx model.

Of course, if a person is also interested in performance of 3D games or other applications heavily dependent on graphics hardware, they definitely should consider graphics performance level as well. Otherwise, money is better spent on buying more CPU, RAM, or storage performance, with graphics performance being a distant consideration.

Also, because I made the mistake myself, I wanted to clarify that Falcon Trading Systems appears to have no relationship with Falcon Northwest Computer Systems, the latter being more widely known. Not to imply Falcon Northwest is better or anything, just more widely known. If you've ever used the 3DMark benchmarking program from FutureMark (formerly MadOnion), you've probably seen Falcon Northwest's name and logo.

I checked out Falcon Trading Systems and found nothing that would reflect negatively on its reputation. However, Falcon Trading Systems could not credibly be included among the companies who "lead the pre-built PC market" next to Dell. Neither could Alienware nor Falcon Northwest, for that matter. These are relatively small system builders that aren't among the top 10, with Falcon Trading Systems being hugely smaller than either Alienware or Falcon Northwest.

Even if we narrow the focus to "professional workstation" PC market, its questionable to count Falcon Trading Systems along side Dell. HP does a huge business in professional workstations catering to several different markets, including financial and stock trading. Sun Microsystems is also big in the market for professional workstations. Alienware isn't a particularly recognizable choice in the market for professional workstations of any kind. Its primary market is gaming enthusiast systems. Fujitsu, Lenovo (IBM), Colfax International, Polywell, and a half-dozen other companies have much greater recognition in professional workstations than Alienware, but Dell, HP, and Sun are the heavies.

pls can any one give an indicator for this below calci

Tom DeMark Pivot Point System

Condition Calculation Tomorrow's Projections

Today Close < today high + today low + High= x/2 - today low

Today Open today close + today low = x Low= x/2 - today high

X = (H + (L * 2) + C)

Today Close > today high + today low + High= x/2 - today low

Today Open today close + today high = x Low= x/2 - today high

X = ((H * 2) + L + C)

Today Close = today high + today low + High= x/2 - today low

Today Open today close + today close = x Low= x/2 - today high

X = (H + L + (C * 2))