Money Mangement Example

Your risk per a trade should probably not exceed 3% per trade. It is better to adjust your risk to 1% or 2% but depending on the system this may vary.

1% risk of a $100,000 account = $1,000

You should adjust your stop loss so that you never lose more than $1,000 per a single trade.

If you are a short term trader and you place your stop loss 50 pips below/above your entry point .

50 pips = $1,000

1 pips = $20

The size of your trade should be adjusted so that you risk $20/pip. With 20:1 leverage,your trade size will be $200,000

If the trade is stopped, you will lose $1,000 which is 1% of your balance.

This trade will require $10,000 = 10% of your balance.

If you are a long term trader and you place your stop loss 200 pips below/above your entry point.

200 pips = $1,000

1 pip = $5

The size of your trade should be adjusted so that you risk $5/pip. With 20:1 leverage, your trade size will be $50,000

If the trade is stopped, you will lose $1,000 which is 1% of your balance.

This trade will require $2,500 = 2.5% of your balance.

This's just an example. Your trading balance and leverage provided by your broker may differ from this formula. The most important is to stick to the 1% risk rule. Never risk too much in one trade. It's a fatal mistake when a trader lose 2 or 3 trades in a row, then he will be confident that his next trade will be winning and he may add more money to this trade. This's how you can blow up your account in a short time! A disciplined trader should never let his emotions and greed control his decisions.

That is indeed a good post!

Thanks for the example you shared.. at least it gives better visualization on how it will really works..

that's a verry good way to do your own money mannagement, but I have decided to let a person who has allot more experience then me do this job.

And I like what I see for the moment.

Annyway do you always stick to this rule?

forclo:
Your risk per a trade should probably not exceed 3% per trade. It is better to adjust your risk to 1% or 2% but depending on the system this may vary. 1% risk of a $100,000 account = $1,000 You should adjust your stop loss so that you never lose more than $1,000 per a single trade. If you are a short term trader and you place your stop loss 50 pips below/above your entry point .50 pips = $1,0001 pips = $20 The size of your trade should be adjusted so that you risk $20/pip. With 20:1 leverage,your trade size will be $200,000 If the trade is stopped, you will lose $1,000 which is 1% of your balance. This trade will require $10,000 = 10% of your balance. If you are a long term trader and you place your stop loss 200 pips below/above your entry point.200 pips = $1,0001 pip = $5 The size of your trade should be adjusted so that you risk $5/pip. With 20:1 leverage, your trade size will be $50,000 If the trade is stopped, you will lose $1,000 which is 1% of your balance.This trade will require $2,500 = 2.5% of your balance. This's just an example. Your trading balance and leverage provided by your broker may differ from this formula. The most important is to stick to the 1% risk rule. Never risk too much in one trade. It's a fatal mistake when a trader lose 2 or 3 trades in a row, then he will be confident that his next trade will be winning and he may add more money to this trade. This's how you can blow up your account in a short time! A disciplined trader should never let his emotions and greed control his decisions.

May I add here?

Total open position should not exceed 6% of equity at any time, when we stick on 1% rule, we should only had six trade at 1% risk for each trade or three trade on 2% risk.

Never expose risk on total equity more than 6% at any time

Elder say this rule to prevent from the shark and from piranha

Reason: