No experience with enum. Quick question.

I was looking for a way to create a combo box for the input variables.  I came across the following example:

enum __in{ 
   _p1, // value 1
   _p2, // value 2
   _p3, // value 3
   _p4  // value 4 
};
extern __in check = _p1

It works beautifully and I have adapted it for my needs.  My question is...  What is the value returned from check?

So, if I wanted to do something like

if(check == _p3)
{
blah blah

}

Is that correct?  So, if someone selected "value 3" from the dropdown, then the above would result in TRUE?

jthornton:

I was looking for a way to create a combo box for the input variables.  I came across the following example:

It works beautifully and I have adapted it for my needs.  My question is...  What is the value returned from check?

Is that correct?  So, if someone selected "value 3" from the dropdown, then the above would result in TRUE?

if(check == 0)//_p1
{
blah blah
}
------------------------
if(check == 1)//_p2
{
blah blah
}

jthornton: It works beautifully and I have adapted it for my needs.  My question is...  What is the value returned from check?

if(check == _p3)
{
blah blah

}

Think of enumerations as #define A 0, #define B 1, etc. with type checking. The second argument of iMA is a ENUM_TIMEFRAMES That means you can't pass one (1) or OP_SELL (also 1) but must use PERIOD_M1 (value 1.)

They can not select value 3. The pull down list will be _p1, _p2, etc. Change the enumerations to something readable.

Your if is correct. Do not start putting int values in the code as Nikolaos Pantzos suggests. That just makes self-documentating code non-docmentating.

whroeder1:

Think of enumerations as #define A 0, #define B 1, etc. with type checking. The second argument of iMA is a ENUM_TIMEFRAMES That means you can't pass one (1) or OP_SELL (also 1) but must use PERIOD_M1 (value 1.)

They can not select value 3. The pull down list will be _p1, _p2, etc. Change the enumerations to something readable.

Your if is correct. Do not start putting int values in the code as Nikolaos Pantzos suggests. That just makes self-documentating code non-docmentating.

When I do it, the dropdown list is actually showing the value beside the //.

So:

_p1, // value a

The dropdown list is actually showing "value a", not "_p1".

It seems to be working as I expected.

Thanks for the help.  This has been quite useful for creating my own values.

Reason: