Germany to tell people to stockpile food and water in case of attacks: FAS

For the first time since the end of the Cold War, the German government plans to tell citizens to stockpile food and water in case of an attack or catastrophe, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper reported on Sunday.

Germany is currently on high alert after two Islamist attacks and a shooting rampage by a mentally unstable teenager last month. Berlin announced measures earlier this month to spend considerably more on its police and security forces and to create a special unit to counter cyber crime and terrorism.

"The population will be obliged to hold an individual supply of food for ten days," the newspaper quoted the government's "Concept for Civil Defence" - which has been prepared by the Interior Ministry - as saying.

The paper said a parliamentary committee had originally commissioned the civil defense strategy in 2012.

A spokesman for the Interior Ministry said the plan would be discussed by the cabinet on Wednesday and presented by the minister that afternoon. He declined to give any details on the content.

People will be required to stockpile enough drinking water to last for five days, according to the plan, the paper said.

The 69-page report does not see an attack on Germany's territory, which would require a conventional style of national defense, as likely.

However, the precautionary measures demand that people "prepare appropriately for a development that could threaten our existence and cannot be categorically ruled out in the future," the paper cited the report as saying.

It also mentions the necessity of a reliable alarm system, better structural protection of buildings and more capacity in the health system, the paper said.

A further priority should be more support of the armed forces by civilians, it added.

Germany's Defence Minister said earlier this month the country lay in the "crosshairs of terrorism" and pressed for plans for the military to train more closely with police in preparing for potential large-scale militant attacks.

It's always good to live next to a supermarket in the case that a zombie apocalypse breaks out.

krelian99:
It's always good to live next to a supermarket in the case that a zombie apocalypse breaks out.
Living close or next to supers are so costly, either buying or rented,better to pay parking and sleep in car.use their wash room and tissue.nothing to clean even :)

I am ashamed of my government because they just show how incompetent they are.

We need politicians with higher _tested_ IQ , with children or/and at least some years experience in real work. the majority doesn't even speak english. the biggest problem is that they can do whatever they want, lie whenever they want and they don't even care about it when the media is telling "their" truth. I hate this idiots. 

Anyway it looks we prepare for a bigger cultural clash maybe even a market crash in the private sector. 

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/katastrophenfall-bevoelkerung-soll-vorraete-anlegen-a-1108760.html

http://www.bbk.bund.de/DE/Ratgeber/VorsorgefuerdenKat-fall/Pers-Notfallvorsorge/Lebensmittel/lebensmittel.html

mntiwana:
Living close or next to supers are so costly, either buying or rented,better to pay parking and sleep in car.use their wash room and tissue.nothing to clean even :)

Really? I live next to a supermarket. I always tried to do so when I moved to a new location and I moved very often in my life yet. It's not more expensive to live next to a supermarket. What we have more than any other thing are supermarkets.

myrx:

I am ashamed of my government because they just show how incompetent they are.

We need politicians with higher _tested_ IQ , with children or/and at least some years experience in real work. the majority doesn't even speak english. the biggest problem is that they can do whatever they want, lie whenever they want and they don't even care about it when the media is telling "their" truth. I hate this idiots. 

Anyway it looks we prepare for a bigger cultural clash maybe even a market crash in the private sector. 

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/katastrophenfall-bevoelkerung-soll-vorraete-anlegen-a-1108760.html

http://www.bbk.bund.de/DE/Ratgeber/VorsorgefuerdenKat-fall/Pers-Notfallvorsorge/Lebensmittel/lebensmittel.html

I thought it was a joke when I read it here. Something like "eine Armlänge Abstand". The case of catastrophe refers to our government, I guess. A Chancellor who looks and looks and folds her hands and is happy because of her status. The defense minister is a mom with seven children which installed a kindergarten in many military bases and the carry belt is now compatible for babies. And these two were the competent ones. NTL, IMO the other governments are even more idiotic. I wonder how we can recognize that a zombie apocalypse broke out. WOW and PokemonGO players, PEGIDA, hools, politicians and Apple store fans - zombies are already among us.

Reason: