Change old mq4 indicators to work with ver 4 MT4?

Hi everyone,

About half the mq4 and ex4 indicators I download to evaluate them will not work on my MT4 platform (ver 4 build 482). I was wondering if there is a way for me to modify them so they work without having to learn another programing language .

I've been looking through this forum and can't seem to find anyone else who is having the same problem.

An example could be, I downloaded the cycle-identifier which works so well it's almost scary, then I want to see how it compares to the schaff-trend-cycle and every copy I download will not work.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

wifiguy:
Hi everyone,

About half the mq4 and ex4 indicators I download to evaluate them will not work on my MT4 platform (ver 4 build 482). I was wondering if there is a way for me to modify them so they work without having to learn another programing language .

I've been looking through this forum and can't seem to find anyone else who is having the same problem.

An example could be, I downloaded the cycle-identifier which works so well it's almost scary, then I want to see how it compares to the schaff-trend-cycle and every copy I download will not work.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

wifiguy

Schaff_Trend_Cycle_mtf works without any change

#MTF-Schaff trend cycle needs "Schaff Trend Cycle" indicator in the indicators folder to work

cycle-identifier is an ex4 and have no idea what problem you might have with it. If it is built with metatrader build higher than your 482 it will not work on your terminal. Better to find some source version and compile it on your terminal

mladen,

Thanks for the above. I've just discovered the reason that half the indicators I downloaded would not work.

I have 2 mt4 platforms which I trade with, neither will take an mq4 file, they just will not work.

I have just downloaded a new "virgin" mt4 platform and most of the indicators I could not get to work before work fine on the new platform.

When one puts a mq4 file into the indicators folder a ex4 file is generated is that correct? The new mt4 platform makes an ex4 file but neither of my other platforms do. Therefor all mq4 indicators would not work for me only ex4 files......any ideas?

It sounds like you are missing your MT4 compiler, metalang.exe. Try copying it from your "virgin" installation into the others. How did you avoid upgrading to version509?

wifiguy:
mladen,

Thanks for the above. I've just discovered the reason that half the indicators I downloaded would not work.

I have 2 mt4 platforms which I trade with, neither will take an mq4 file, they just will not work.

I have just downloaded a new "virgin" mt4 platform and most of the indicators I could not get to work before work fine on the new platform.

When one puts a mq4 file into the indicators folder a ex4 file is generated is that correct? The new mt4 platform makes an ex4 file but neither of my other platforms do. Therefor all mq4 indicators would not work for me only ex4 files......any ideas?

wifiguy

Are you using windows 7 (or 8)?

If yes, see this post (and the thread) : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179698/page2

Tzuman:
It sounds like you are missing your MT4 compiler, metalang.exe. Try copying it from your "virgin" installation into the others. How did you avoid upgrading to version509?

Hey thanks Tzuman

Wasn't aware of upgrades and neither of my platforms upgraded automatically.

Also, I never got a message......new version available, or something like that.

I'm looking on the mt4 community website and it seems I'm not alone so I didn't avoid it, just didn't know about it. I'm looking now as to how to.

Thanks.

mladen:
wifiguy

Are you using windows 7 (or 8)?

If yes, see this post (and the thread) : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179698/page2

I'm using XP, don't laugh it works fine for me.

Reason: