Newbie with questions

I'm just coming on board with the idea of migrating from VB to this trading specific language.  I understand you are all migrating from mql4 to mql5 so it seems we are experiencing similar uncomfortablness.  For some reason (i think i deleted some critical windows files while manually agressively cleaning my hard drive) my computer won't install the client (MetaTrader5) i downloaded, so i am asking questions having never seen the interface.  I plan instead to use a VSP with the client already installed, to which i will upload various files it needs to function.  However, my question is, without a client on my laptop, how will i develop my code?  Is the client also a development environment? Or, is there a separate development environment i can use that can help me write the files i will eventually upload to the VSP?  Does the data i use for development need to be on my own hard drives?  Can i store data at my VSP?  Finally, when i get my VSP running live, do i sign up for a indepentant data feed or do forex brokers commonly supply a data feed for the client? 

Thanks for your efforts.

johnny 

Migrating from MQL4 to MQL5
  • Sergey Pavlov
  • www.mql5.com
This article is a quick guide to MQL4 language functions, it will help you to migrate your programs from MQL4 to MQL5. For each MQL4 function (except trading functions) the description and MQL5 implementation are presented, it allows you to reduce the conversion time significantly. For convenience, the MQL4 functions are divided into groups, similar to MQL4 Reference.
Reason: