Secret Trading Tips - page 7

Secret Trading Tip #18

Secret Trading Tip #18

Using the Doji

On a candlestick chart, there is a pattern that technicians refer to as a doji. A doji has top and bottom shadows like a regular candlestick, but has practically no real body. This happens when the opening and closing price are the same, or so close that they just leave a sliver of a real body. A doji looks like a plus sign or cross.

Finding a Doji can tell a technical analyst key things about a market trend

Doji are considered a good sign of indecision in a market. Finding a doji with short and nearly identical shadow points suggests a neutral trading session. The market opened, had a small trading range, and then closed at the opening price. Neither bulls nor bears got the upper hand. Longer shadows show potentially greater indecision. They are neutral on their own, but paired with a trend, a doji can hint at a coming change.

Market participants looking for a reversal like to see Doji

Doji are like little battle scars of conflict. The trade had action but in the end no one won the day and the market closed pretty much where it started. If the market was on a bullish trend, this could be a signal that the bears were coming in. The opposite could be deduced if the market was in a bearish trend.

A technician's reversal argument is simple. If the dominant trend were still in control, there wouldn't have been a wrestling match for control. And there would have been a clear winner. Instead, the real body showed that the day was almost a wash.

Doji are common candlestick patterns ' look for them in your favorite market and watch what happens around them

Doji are candlestick patterns that can show a significant wrestling match is in the works. Neither the bull nor the bear are dominating the trading period. This means that you have to look at the whole chart ' not just a single candlestick ' to confirm the potential in a doji. What you are looking for is something that will tip the scales, a sign that someone will take the advantage. I look at doji as yellow flags during any trend. Tread carefully until the bigger picture is revealed.

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

Founder & President- Trading Advantage

TradingAdvantage.com

Trillion Dollar Pay Day Loan

payday_loans

Referring to the constant rumors of a Portuguese bailout last year in Europe, Jean-Claude Juncker, the prime minister of Luxembourg, said “When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

For weeks the Eurozone ministers lied to the public about the behind-the-scenes bailout that they were working on. But here in the US the politicians aren’t lying about the next “crisis” and what to do about it, which is the debt ceiling; they are openly floating new ideas like a pay-day loan for the Treasury.

Instead of living within its means, and instead of dealing with Congress as the law is written, Tax-Cheating Timmy Geithner, the Treasury Secretary, is considering the idea of minting a $1 TRILLION platinum coin as a work-around for the coming debt ceiling showdown.

Section K of the law pertaining to the Treasury’s ability to mint coins reads “(k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.”

Platinum is very expensive because it is very rare. It currently trades at about $1,550 per ounce. So one would then wonder “just big would this ‘coin’ be?” Some estimate that the coin would have to be ~18 thousand TONS! Although this is problematic enough, there is another problem: total global platinum production from the beginning of time is estimated to be just 16 tons.

Hmm, this seems to be a big discrepancy. Oh wait, the law above reads that Tax-Cheating Timmy can simply use his discretion to assign value to this make-believe coin. By simply stating that its value is $1 trillion, it is so. Said another way, like the paper dollars in our pockets, the coin is a fiat coin…backed by nothing and created out of thin air.

"Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men's protection and the base of a moral existence. Destroyers seize gold and leave to its owners a counterfeit pile of paper. This kills all objective standards and delivers men into the arbitrary power of an arbitrary setter of values. Gold was an objective value, an equivalent of wealth produced. Paper is a mortgage on wealth that does not exist, backed by a gun aimed at those who are expected to produce it. Paper is a check drawn by legal looters upon an account which is not theirs: upon the virtue of the victims. Watch for the day when it bounces, marked: 'Account overdrawn.'" - Ayn Rand

The whole idea is beyond absurd, but let’s go further. Why not simply call it a $16-trillion coin and wipe out the national debt. Oh what the hell, let’s just say it’s worth is $100 trillion so we have a little pocket change left over for the profligate spending idiots in Congress.

Like average Americans using a Pay-Day Loan to get by until the next paycheck arrives, the US Treasury may produce its own version of a Pay-Day Loan…by simply creating a ludicrous coin out of thin air.

Trade well and follow the trend, not the perma-bill OR perma-bear "experts."

Behold the age of infinite moral hazard! On April 2nd, 2009 Congress forced FASB to suspend rule 157 in favor of deceitful accounting for the TBTF banking mafia.

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Futures Data

Value Areas:

ES 1460.75 / 1455.75

POC… 1458.50

YM 13360 / 13324

NQ 2725.00 / 2716.50

Secret Trading Tip #27

Secret Trading Tip #27

Coming Back from a Loss

A friend of mine in the pit had been having a rough time lately when he asked me a typical question among us traders - How do I come back from a loss? Since he had been having a "rough patch" and not just one bad trade, I gave him the following advice that is to be used over a period of time.

First I asked him, "What does your trading journal look like - or maybe you don’t have one?"

He didn’t think it was necessary, which was his first mistake. It is critical to keep a trading journal.

In my journal I ask myself everyday "Did I follow my trading plan properly? Did I do anything wrong and if so, why?" If I did follow my plan correctly but I lost money, I am not hard on myself. Sometimes this happens! If I didn’t follow my rules but still made money, however, that’s a problem.

I highlight these days so I never repeat this fatal flaw. One of the worst things you can do is ignore your rules and make money, because then you feel that "winging it" is a good plan. It is not.

If this happens, you have to ask yourself;''Why didn’t I follow my rules?"Was it lack of confidence in the system? Fear? Or did my ego want to be the hero that sold the high?"

If you lack confidence in a system, paper-trade it religiously and keep a massive amount of statistics on the outcomes. Be honest with each trade and if the results are good, immediately ban all second-guesses.

If you are playing blackjack and the dealer has a six showing while you were dealt a ten & a nine for nineteen, would you HIT IT because "maybe this time the dealer won’t bust!?" Of course you wouldn’t! You know that the long-term outcome of that decision would be certain disaster.

It is the same with trading: don’t question a trade if the statistics show it’s a winner over the long term.

Fear also exists when a trader doesn’t believe in his system yet. Or it may just be the fear of being wrong, which is another ego-based problem. You have to let go of being right. Trading is about probabilities and making money; not about being right or wrong.

I’ve found that traders who used ego-based decisions to mess with their system or break their rules added little to no value to their trading. In fact it almost always hurts more than it helps. Trading for ego satisfaction is not a good idea, because your ego risks getting damaged during a rough trading patch.

I like to go back and look at my trades over the last week and last month, to see how they performed. Am I repeating my mistakes? If I bought or sold too soon, I want to find out why. Be honest, and ask good questions: "What worked?What will I do differently next time?What was I feeling when I ignored that trade?"

Keep notes on trades you liked but didn’t make.What held you back? Do you notice any patterns causing you to miss opportunities? FIX THEM!

My friend listened intently and took notes. He will be a better trader for it.

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

payday_loans

Referring to the constant rumors of a Portuguese bailout last year in Europe, Jean-Claude Juncker, the prime minister of Luxembourg, said “When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

For weeks the Eurozone ministers lied to the public about the behind-the-scenes bailout that they were working on. But here in the US the politicians aren’t lying about the next “crisis” and what to do about it, which is the debt ceiling; they are openly floating new ideas like a pay-day loan for the Treasury.

Instead of living within its means, and instead of dealing with Congress as the law is written, Tax-Cheating Timmy Geithner, the Treasury Secretary, is considering the idea of minting a $1 TRILLION platinum coin as a work-around for the coming debt ceiling showdown.

Section K of the law pertaining to the Treasury’s ability to mint coins reads “(k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.”

Platinum is very expensive because it is very rare. It currently trades at about $1,550 per ounce. So one would then wonder “just big would this ‘coin’ be?” Some estimate that the coin would have to be ~18 thousand TONS! Although this is problematic enough, there is another problem: total global platinum production from the beginning of time is estimated to be just 16 tons.

Hmm, this seems to be a big discrepancy. Oh wait, the law above reads that Tax-Cheating Timmy can simply use his discretion to assign value to this make-believe coin. By simply stating that its value is $1 trillion, it is so. Said another way, like the paper dollars in our pockets, the coin is a fiat coin…backed by nothing and created out of thin air.

"Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men's protection and the base of a moral existence. Destroyers seize gold and leave to its owners a counterfeit pile of paper. This kills all objective standards and delivers men into the arbitrary power of an arbitrary setter of values. Gold was an objective value, an equivalent of wealth produced. Paper is a mortgage on wealth that does not exist, backed by a gun aimed at those who are expected to produce it. Paper is a check drawn by legal looters upon an account which is not theirs: upon the virtue of the victims. Watch for the day when it bounces, marked: 'Account overdrawn.'" - Ayn Rand

The whole idea is beyond absurd, but let’s go further. Why not simply call it a $16-trillion coin and wipe out the national debt. Oh what the hell, let’s just say it’s worth is $100 trillion so we have a little pocket change left over for the profligate spending idiots in Congress.

Like average Americans using a Pay-Day Loan to get by until the next paycheck arrives, the US Treasury may produce its own version of a Pay-Day Loan…by simply creating a ludicrous coin out of thin air.

Trade well and follow the trend, not the perma-bill OR perma-bear "experts."

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Value Areas:

ES 1460.75 / 1455.75

POC… 1458.50

YM 13360 / 13324

NQ 2725.00 / 2716.50

Hi guys, I see that this a thread lead by serious traders, packed with knowledge and experience..therefore, I have a question which is related to trading tips but for binary options trading platforms..I have an account on several of those platforms ( registered, not deposited ) and I would like to know if someone has trading tips for this field??? For example, I have read numerous reviews about Beaned, 24Options and other platforms, but there are no information about trading strategies, tips, direction , whatever..feel free..

Secret Trading Tip #15

Secret Trading Tip #15

Trailing Stops

The topic of trailing stops comes up on occasion in my Virtual Trading Room. They can often cause some confusion, so let’s take a bit of time to clarify what constitutes a trailing stop and how you can use it in futures trading..

Trailing stops are actually stop loss orders that you move according to certain parameters in your trading plan.

Why Move Stop Loss Orders?

Stop loss orders are stop orders that are placed at levels where you would exit the trade. That exit point could be based on risk tolerance levels, moving averages, or key technical levels in the market. However you select your stop loss price point, it is usually in a place where the market is moving against an open position.

That point can become obsolete or change when the market is moving in favor of your open position. That means that there can be market movement that would necessitate a re-evaluation or move for your stop loss.

Look at it this way:

If you have a long e-mini S&P 500 position open, your stop loss would be below current market value. Let’s say that when you put the position on, you based your stop loss placement on a point value below entry. Using the Trading Advantage method, the stop should be no more than 3 points away. If the market moves higher, your stop loss would be further from the current price, and it might make sense to move it higher, perhaps to your breakeven level or even up to 3 points below current market price levels. If the market continues to move higher, your stop loss could be re-adjusted higher to keep it within those 3 points.

In this way, you have the chance to try to lock in unrealized gains on an open position. Prices can still gap through your stop price level, so it isn’t a perfect guarantee, but it does provide a level of emotional insurance, and they are another handy tool to use.

Does it cost money to keep replacing an order?

No. Stop loss orders are just instructions for an action to take if a market reaches a certain level. You can cancel and replace them as many times as you want or need to. Commissions and fees are only charged for executed transactions.

The trick to trailing stops is to make sure that you are cancelling and replacing the stop loss order every time and not accidentally placing a new order.

Trailing stop loss example:

*PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS.

Chart courtesy of Gecko Software.

One type of trailing stop we use in the Virtual Trading Room is the momentum stop, which is a little more advanced. This trailing stop is automatically calculated by an algorithm in our trading software that measures the velocity of the market as well as the average true range of each bar. Once each bar closes, the algorithm instantly calculates a new trailing stop that helps us both protect unrealized profits and try to protect our equity if the trade results in a loss.

Whichever trailing stop placement method you choose doesn't really matter because all of them will allow your decision making to be potentially free from emotional influences. You are keeping your exit fluid, moving it as market forces move prices.

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Secret Trading Tip #12: The Value Area & Your Trading

Secret Trading Tip #12

The Value Area & Your Trading

What is Market Profile?

Each day the market defines a Market Profile (MP), a Value Area (VA) and a Point of Control (POC), all of which are invaluable to trading the following day. Similar market-derived data over longer time frames is also of great value to day traders and other time frame (OTF) traders. Before I expand on this subject, let's back up and define the various terms we will use.

The sole function of any market is to facilitate trade. Over time a profile of the nature of the trading develops and levels of perceived value become established. By the end of the trading session, a structural profile for the period has been established. This is referred to as Market Profile (MP).

Definitions You Should Know

Market Profile (MP): The MP organizes price on a vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis. A price/time relationship is established. A convenient way to evaluate demand at any given price and time is to use tick values, which are immediately available. Subsequently a bell curve of price - volume distribution over time is created.

The basic time period used in MP analysis is the thirty minute time frame. The half hourly tick volume is organized by alphabetic code starting at 8:00 A.M. Letters of the alphabet are assigned for prices that occur in each half hour. The period 8:00 to 8:30 is A; B is 8:30 to 9:00; C is 9:00 to 9:30, and so on. .

Value Area (VA): The "Value Area" (VA) is one standard deviation (70%) of a normal bell curve of the time/price distribution in a given period, commonly each day, i.e. the volume of trade as well the cost of trade is included in the computation of the VA numbers.

Value Area High (VAH): The upper price limit of the Value Area.

Value Area Low (VAL): The lower price limit of the Value Area.

Point of Control (POC): Is the price at which most trade is conducted during the period under study. It is that line of TPOs that makes the very apex of the bell curve of distribution. It is the statistical mean of the price, time, and volume relationship.

Responsive Selling?

If perceptions do not change as prices move away from the upper VA level, prices quickly run out of buyers and start attracting sellers who return prices towards and into the value area. This is also true at the other end. As prices move away from the lower VA level, prices quickly run out of sellers and start attracting more buyers who will bring prices back to the value area. This phenomenon is referred to as responsive selling or buying, respectively.

On occasion, the migration of prices above or below the VA extremes, rather than attracting responsive buyers or sellers, attracts the big money who (for whatever reason) now considers the VA extremes as unfair. The big money responds by initiating buying at this previous extreme. Once this happens, the upside breakout is likely to gather momentum as short sellers quickly cover their losing trades. Prices are likely to trend strongly for the rest of the session, or at least until the big money considers a new upper limit of value has been reached. This is also true at the lower VA level (VAL). Normally when prices reach this area, they cause traders to respond by buying. But occasionally the big money will have reevaluated value at this VAL and consider it overvalued and initiate selling. This will attract further selling and a downtrend is likely to continue into the close, or until fair value is perceived to have been reached.

Keep notes on trades you liked but didn’t make.What held you back? Do you notice any patterns causing you to miss opportunities? FIX THEM!

The Value of the Value Area

The VA of the day is of great value to traders the following day. The opening of the Chicago regular trading hours (RTH) relative to the previous day’s VA can be above, below, or within the VA. Opening price, if outside the VA, may or may not pull back into the VA. All these possibilities have significant implications for the ensuing day's trade. Markets frequently rotate through value and only occasionally trend. So VA extremes offer opportunities to enter fading the extreme or trading the breakout. Knowing which to trade has obvious implications for your financial survival.

The POC's Daily Implication

Similarly the POC of the previous day has great implications for day traders. Being the level of the greatest perception of value, and the price at which the greatest volume of trade took place, it is likely to offer significant support on downside pull backs in an uptrend, or resistance on an up-side correction in a downtrend. The POC will then offer opportunities to fade the pull back. However, failure of these normal expectations as prices test the POC would amount to a break out of sorts, and fading the POC could be a costly mistake.

VA and POC Insight

Similarly, VA and POC studies of longer time periods offer great structural insight to the market for day traders and other time frame (OTF) traders who are usually the big money looking to initiate, or hedge positions for the long haul. But as James Dalton says in his book, 'Markets in Profile,' "Even OTF traders are day traders when they put on a trade."

Use of the VA overlay charts over a 5-, 10- and 20-day period can be a great aid in identifying potentially low-risk trade placement and setting reasonable targets for price movement. These are of use to day traders and swing traders.

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Secret Trading Tip #4

Secret Trading Tip #4

How to Determine When the Market is Really Trending

How often have you looked at a chart and tried to determine whether or not the market is really trending? How many times have you been fooled by your Stochastics or RSI indicators? How many times have you sold because your oscillators were screaming overbought then watched the market dip a little and then continue higher, stopping you out for another loss? One of the most important things you are probably trying to figure out with any given market is if it is in a trend, and in which direction that trend is moving.

Find the trend and make friends with it

Swimming upstream is difficult, and that kind of battle is probably why you’ll often hear traders say, “The trend is your friend.” But spotting a real trend can be tricky, especially for first time traders and chart observers. You don’t need really fancy calculations or trading software to spot a trend in a market, and if you find it, don’t fight it.

Guess who bought the dip? That's right, the floor traders and the other professionals

If a market is really trending, there will always be reactions against the prevailing trend. Those are the signals most floor traders love. They know that many investors in the general public will fall for the "fade" nearly every time. So how do you know whether or not what you are seeing is a real trending market or not?

The basics are very simple. A market in an uptrend will likely have higher highs and higher lows. The opposite is true for a downtrend. Lower highs and lower lows tell you when the market is in a downtrend.

You never want to go against these situations.

IMPORTANT TRADING RULES:

1) We never get long or buy in a downtrending market.

2) We never sell or go short in an uptrending market.

It's just like stepping in front of a freight train. .

A market on a move higher will attract new buyers and selling forces will help establish higher highs. When the price dips, more buyers will come in on what they perceive as a value entry point, delivering those higher lows. On the downside, selling pressure will cause lower lows and any move above those results in more sales, topping off those lower highs.

Find support and resistance and find trading opportunities

Once you have determined the overall trend, you can look for support and resistance points. Knowing these price levels can help you follow the trend, buying on dips in a market that might be trending higher or selling on pops when the prevailing trend is likely lower. It doesn't get any better than that!

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

The Handoff

The Handoff

baton

If you’re a fan of the summer Olympics, I am sure you have watched plenty of track events – especially the exciting 400 and 800 meter relays. Four athletes run in each event and hand a baton off to the next athlete until the race is complete. Although the handoffs are usually done without mishap, it still happens from time to time; they can be simply sloppy to an outright drop of the baton that disqualifies the whole team.

In the financial relay of the USSAs rigged capital markets, from one corporate/congressional-captured chairman to the next, the handoff was exquisite. Passing the baton from EZ-Al Greenspan to Backstop-Ben Bernanke was flawless. It was so perfect, I’m sure that both Bernie Madoff and John Corzine blushed with envy.

In such a perfectly levitated & rigged market there was another flawless handoff that may have gone unnoticed: from monkey to cat. If you have been trading for any length of time, you surely remember reading many stories of monkeys vs. professional fund managers in the late 90’s and early 2000s.

Here’s how it usually worked: The pro's stock picks competed against four stocks chosen by monkeys flinging darts at the Wall Street Journal stock tables, which were pasted to a dart board. At the end of six months, the results of the pro’s picks and the monkey’s picks were compared, with the monkey usually winning all contests. As I recall, the monkeys did especially well in the late 90s and the mid-to-late 2000s, when EZ-Al first ignored the Nasdaq bubble, then supported every bank that made loans to the Nasdaq scammers and drove the world into a housing bubble during the late mid-to-late 2000s.

During the Nasdaq crash, it may have been difficult for the monkeys to “generate alpha.” It sure was for the one-way analysts (also monkeys) on Fraud Street…but I can’t quite remember.

Then came the GLOBAL stock market crash, Backstop-Ben Bernanke, and “the cat.”

Just recently a newspaper in England, the Observer, ran an experiment to see who would perform the best in a stock picking contest: professional equity managers, a group of children, or a cat.

According to the story - Each team had 5,000 pounds to invest in five companies from the FTSE All-Share index at the beginning of the year. Every three months, they could trade their stocks.

"The cat selected stocks by throwing his favorite toy mouse on a grid of numbers allocated to different companies," according to the story, "Investments: Orlando is the cat's whiskers of stock picking."

The cat, an orange tabby named Orlando, managed to win in the end. He wrapped up 2012 with a grand total of 5,542 pounds to the professionals' 5,176 pounds. The students finished less successfully with 4,840 pounds, according to the story.

I guess the essence of the story is that, when the market is rigged via excessively low interest rates to force stock prices in only one direction (up), even a cave man monkey or a cat could do it.

Yes indeed, the handoff from the monkey to the cat has been as flawless as the superior athletes in the Sumer Olympics…or from one central planning, statist, banking thief, to another.

Trade well and follow the trend, not the perma-bull OR perma-bear "experts."

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Secret Trading Tip #5

Knowing your way around a chart

For most traders, charts are like their road maps to potential trades. Technicians see potential patterns, key clues that they interpret for trading opportunities. Fundamentalists see confirmation of news stories or supply and demand dynamics playing out in the price fluctuations. Charts are indispensible to traders

Understanding what a chart is telling you is paramount for traders

We are going to look at the two most common chart types, and the basics of their construction. The main thing to understand when you are looking at any given chart is that there is key info that shouldn't change. Each chart will be showing you prices on one axis and time periods on another. Most charts will show the prices on the vertical axis and time periods (e.g. daily, hourly, five minute) on the horizontal one, like this:

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Chart courtesy of Gecko Software.

The filler in the middle of the chart is made up of the price bars. Each mark corresponds to a trading period on the bottom and a price range on the right. On this chart, these are the little bars that show the opening price, the high price, the low price, and the closing price.

I tend to favor candlestick charts, which show the same information in a different way.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. Chart courtesy of Gecko Software.

Each candlestick shows the opening price, closing price, session high price, and low price and the color of each candlestick can tell you at a glance if the market closed higher or lower than the open i.e. if it was a down day or an up day.

Whether a bar chart or candlestick chart, people who analyze charts (also known as technical analysis) are looking for clues to potential market direction. For them each new bar or candle can combine with one or several others to form patterns which they believe might forecast future price movements, or at the very least reveal possible trends.

Technical analysis involves looking for possible clues or patterns in charts

There are many different patterns that traders reading charts might be looking for. Some are simply patterns formed by the bars or candlesticks, others are more complex pattern which use other indicators. Let's take a look at some of the most basic:

Sometimes, a chart that is showing a sideways pattern is said to be a in a channel. Every movement higher meets with overhead resistance where selling comes in. Each move lower brings in buyers which creates support.

Candlestick charts also have special patterns that have been identified and named over a long history, said to stretch back to rice traders in Japan. Many of these patterns have fantastic Japanese names like doji or harami. Others have names which describe what is taking place in the pattern like engulfing patterns where the body of one candlestick overtakes the other. These are explored in more advanced Trading Tips.

Recognizing certain patterns or trends can help when planning trades

Technical analysis is one of the backbones for trading strategies. If you can correctly identify a trend, you might be able to spot a trading opportunity. If you can recognize and understand support and resistance, you might be able to use them when planning exit strategies. One of the key things to remember is that the history of a market's price action is no promise of future trading activity. Just because it went to a certain price level before, doesn't necessarily mean prices will move the same way again. Analysis is fallible. Another word of caution for traders - be careful not to let personal bias overrule chart observations. Sometimes we are guilty of seeing patterns to fit our desired forecasts.

Trade well and follow the trend, not the perma-bull OR perma-bear "experts."

Best Trades to you,

Larry Levin

TradingAdvantage.com

Reason: