Central Moving Average

Hi, can somebody make an indicator from this formula. It's the formula of central moving average.

mainata111:
Hi, can somebody make an indicator from this formula. It's the formula of central moving average.

...just make sure it's not South Central Moving Average...located in LA:)

Yeah a central moving average would be good to have! Good idea to turn it into an indicator.

Pava:
I take it...your not from LA...if you were, you would be laughing:)

Sorry m8, i am from Spain. Regards

CMA=SMA shifted

Hi there,

My opinion is that CMA is a SMA which is shifted back. If P is the period of SMA, the shift in order to obtain CMA is (P-1)/2, so P should be odd.

So in MT4, place on the chart a SMA of 13 ( for ex. ) , shift it with -6 and you obtain CMA of 13.

Please react someone if this isn't correct.

Regards.

How would this central moving average be useful if shifted back? Does it have to do with finding some sort of balance?

CMA needs future values

James the Giant:
How would this central moving average be useful if shifted back? Does it have to do with finding some sort of balance?

Hi James,

I think that the reason for shifting back is because CMA needs both past values and future values for its computing. At least this is what I understood from the formula in the first post ( and from my digging on the net, too ).

Yes, the CMA tends to make a balance between past and future values. So for the last generated bars on a chart, you need values from the future, which aren't generated yet by the market. But the million dollar question is: how you generate these future values ?

Regards

Pava:
I take it...your not from LA...if you were, you would be laughing:)

Do all LA'ers have this sense of humour?

CMA = SMA of periods [ -3,-6,-5, 3, 21, 46, 67, 74, 67, 46, 21, 3,-5,-6,-3 ]

Spencer's 15-Point Moving Average -- from Wolfram MathWorld

If this is one and the same thing as Central MA then perhaps the answer to the code is here:- http://www.metatrader.info/node/84

"For a number of applications it is advantageous to avoid the shifting induced by using only 'past' data. Hence a central moving average can be computed, using both 'past' and 'future' data. The 'future' data in this case are not predictions, but merely data obtained after the time at which the average is to be computed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_average

Reason: