Volume trading

Hello everyone,

I'm trading futures, mostly GC. I have a question. Does someone who trade also futures uses some software to track market volume? I mean the software such as Bloomberg or something..

I'd like to find people on this board who trade using volumes. I think together we could spread our thoughts to each other to make trading much profitable. As we say one head is good but the whole body is much better .

Cheers.

I have used MarketDelta before when it first became a product. I never got comfortable with that type of trading, although I'm sure it has its application with market profile. I just never quite figured that out. So I use technicals to make my trades now. And you might find volume trading to be very light on this forum because most MT4 brokers do not carry that kind of data.

Volume Data

Hi

This may be of some use to you to find out how much Volume there is per Timeframe and probably what sort of amount of volume different brokers have. This screenshot shows the sort of Volume FXDD has I understand they have a considerable amount of Volume compared to some of the other brokers.

The screenshot demonstrates some of the Display options avaliable to the user.

volume_mtf_display.ex4

Files:

Hello guys,

Thank you for your interest to this topic and my poll. AFAIU most users of this forum are using MT to trade? I prefer Ninja or SR to trade, whatever but MT

The volume data that are shown in MT are tick volumes not the real ones. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just imagine the guys from the pit. Does they have any chance to analyse using fore example MA? BB? not sure.

Try to follow the gold futures price today near 840-842 and also 850 (this is the most strong level for now. It is a 'contract volume'.) GC is currently in the sells zone, while the price is under 850.

Tick v Volume

Pigenela:
Hello guys,

Thank you for your interest to this topic and my poll. AFAIU most users of this forum are using MT to trade? I prefer Ninja or SR to trade, whatever but MT

The volume data that are shown in MT are tick volumes not the real ones. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just imagine the guys from the pit. Does they have any chance to analyse using fore example MA? BB? not sure.

Try to follow the gold futures price today near 840-842 and also 850 (this is the most strong level for now. It is a 'contract volume'.) GC is currently in the sells zone, while the price is under 850.

Hi

From what i have observed by placing a Volume digit indicator and Tick digit indicator side by side the numbers are sometimes similar but often different so i suspect there is something different about the data feed. My understanding is that the Tick is for every movement of price but the Volume is for every trade placed so you can get several trades placed during 1 Tick however i could be wrong on this.

Perhaps someone else has more accurate info on this.

let me bring an example how volumes works.

If something is not clear in this screenshot please ask me, I'll try to explain the details.

Volume

CJA;

From what i have observed by placing a Volume digit indicator and Tick digit indicator side by side the numbers are sometimes similar but often different so i suspect there is something different about the data feed. My understanding is that the Tick is for every movement of price but the Volume is for every trade placed so you can get several trades placed during 1 Tick however i could be wrong on this.

Perhaps someone else has more accurate info on this.

You are correct. A lot of traders are using VSA, (Volume Spread Analysis),

But not on MT4. Their using E-Signal from many providers, with different platform. The signal for VSA is for entries and discretionary exit. They look for previous bars for volume for their entries. But is MT4 not as good if you know what your doing?

MT4 seems to be Muted, if you know what I mean, and different brokers.

Regards,Spelling

Tom Williams has a book on Volume Spread Analysis. I have been meaning to buy a copy. One thing I have noticed in my futures account is during a down trend start to look for support with strong volume coming in pushing the price into a reversal. Just opposite for up trend.

lcfxtrader:
Tom Williams has a book on Volume Spread Analysis. I have been meaning to buy a copy. One thing I have noticed in my futures account is during a down trend start to look for support with strong volume coming in pushing the price into a reversal. Just opposite for up trend.

It is absolutely right. The meaning of volume trading (at least I follow this type of trading) is to 'read' serious guys thoughts and try to catch the wave at that point where these guys are dealing.

And also I agree with your notice about pushing the price into a reversal diring the up or down trend. As stronger the volume based level as stronger the chance to change the trend.

And please, lcfxtrader, would you be so kind and provide me several links on where I could find the book you say? Thanks in advance.

cja:
... Hi could be wrong on this ...

No, you're definitely RIGHT!

Real ticks looks like following clasterized chart. Every tick may have different trades count.

while in MT we can see only volume based on ticks count within the certain period of time.

hi, great tread

Pigenela:
let me bring an example how volumes works.

If something is not clear in this screenshot please ask me, I'll try to explain the details.

I cant understand you explanation to the chart ? could you please try to explain it again? or to give another example ? ....

Thanks,

Reason: