Best indicator/methodology for finding peaks?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find an indicator that finds peaks and bottoms. I'm aware of fractals but I don't think that it's very accurate, too many false peaks.

I have experienced with some indicators, donchian channels reversed by some % is quite good (wpr is good for this) as is bolligner bands reversal (CCI is the indicator to look for this) but I'm looking for more ideas.

I don't mind if the peak is recognized only few bars or pip movement later - what I want to do is mechanically test some peak patterns (higher highs + lower lows and so on) with a very long period of data.

I'll probably be programming my own indicator to find peaks and after that I'll post it here if I get some good ideas.

Just an example for an idea: attached is one of my indicators that uses donchian channels to find short term reversals, I think something like this will be good start (find max of previous bars before the reversal signal).

Files:

Thanks.

It's very interesting.

Just played with the settings of this indicator (xbars settings):

newdigital:
Thanks.

It's very interesting.

Just played with the settings of this indicator (xbars settings):

Just don't get too overexcited, most of my stuff is really quite simple (simpler is better IMHO)

Just to point how it works, it just looks for a point when the bar has touched the donchian channel X bars ago and not since.

I was thinking of using a similar method to find a max/min point of chart between last up/down arrow to find peaks. That's why I posted the indicator, just as an example.

mladen:
Maybe something like this?

Thanks for that but I'm a bit unsure how I can use that mechanically to find peaks.

There is a "famous" pattern that occurs at some tops/bottoms.

For a long trade...a bar makes a new low, followed by an upclose(can be on the same bar), followed by a downclose that does not break the low...your entry is a few pips above the high of the downclose...a variation on this entry is if it makes another low(still not breaking the original low) you can enter on a break above the high of the newest low...However, I believe the original version has the orignal high of the first downclose as entry point.

Reverse for a short trade...

Some other things I have observed about this pattern...I think it works best when not too many bars make up the pattern, the pattern occurs at a support/resistance point/area, and price has not traveled too far from the extreme that started the pattern.

Maybe also to be used during volatile market hours if trading intraday...try it out on a 15 min chart in conjunction with a pivot point indicator or daily camarilla line indicator.

I'm not a programmer so I don't have this pattern programmed.

Hope this helps

RickW00716:
There is a "famous" pattern that occurs at some tops/bottoms.

For a long trade...a bar makes a new low, followed by an upclose(can be on the same bar), followed by a downclose that does not break the low...your entry is a few pips above the high of the downclose...a variation on this entry is if it makes another low(still not breaking the original low) you can enter on a break above the high of the newest low...However, I believe the original version has the orignal high of the first downclose as entry point.

Reverse for a short trade...

Some other things I have observed about this pattern...I think it works best when not too many bars make up the pattern, the pattern occurs at a support/resistance point/area, and price has not traveled too far from the extreme that started the pattern.

Maybe also to be used during volatile market hours if trading intraday...try it out on a 15 min chart in conjunction with a pivot point indicator or daily camarilla line indicator.

I'm not a programmer so I don't have this pattern programmed.

Hope this helps

Very interesting post. Thanks.

FerruFx

mladen:
Maybe something like this?

Very nice one. Thanks.

FerruFx

Hey Mikkom,

Maybe look for "cycle point Kroufr" :

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/176577/page3

And look for the explanations :

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/176577/page3

Thanks Joe!

Those seem to be pretty good, I'll go through the code and see how they work

I replied this in private message but I thought it would be a good idea to post this here too so everyone would understand what I'm really looking for here..

I'm really not looking for the holy grail, I don't mind if the indicator paints the peaks 2 or 3 bars after they appear.

What I want to find is patterns of higher highs and lower lows and do a statistical test on what correlation does higher highs with lower lows have to next peak.

My hypothesis is that the next peak will also be a higher h or lower l with a significant percentage difference.

If this is true, then programming a solid good performance EA will be easy if we have a working peak indicator

mikkom:
I replied this in private message but I thought it would be a good idea to post this here too so everyone would understand what I'm really looking for here..

I'm really not looking for the holy grail, I don't mind if the indicator paints the peaks 2 or 3 bars after they appear.

What I want to find is patterns of higher highs and lower lows and do a statistical test on what correlation does higher highs with lower lows have to next peak.

My hypothesis is that the next peak will also be a higher h or lower l with a significant percentage difference.

If this is true, then programming a solid good performance EA will be easy if we have a working peak indicator

I understand what you're looking for. Fractals with a combination of CCI and Stochastics works pretty well.

Reason: