BUY SELL orders/deals explanation - page 3

Malacarne:  Put this in mind: the broker is like a bank, he never loses!

In my opinion, you're trying too hard to paint the sleazy-broker picture. So it comes as no surprise to me that the poster starts asking you questions about brokers.  Brokers do-not operate a risk-free-business. Whats the difference between charging a spread vs a commission form the trader's point of view.... mathematically nothing... it still starts me off with a negative sum game.

When you say "if there is no seller at this price the price can go up and you will get slippage", this is also incorrect, once slippage does not affect limit orders

Whoever said that slippage had to be negative to the mass Forex traders surely pull the wool over allot of people eyes. This idea must have come from the bucket shops who always pocketed the positive slippage back in the past :)

Ok, I would like to continue this very interesting discussion, as for me, not everything is clear, far away.

In fact I am not sure that things are working so differently between Forex and stock exchange, doesn't it depends more on how you are trading, I mean by which intermediary ? Of course one thing is fundamentally different, as stated by Malacarne, stock exchange are traded on a centralized market, while there is no central market for forex.

The OP was talking about MqlTick and the last price. On Forex, and MT5, the last price is only available (and enabled) for some broker which are using Exchange execution, as far as I have observed it. This kind of broker is ECN broker (in opposition of Market Maker), right ?

So, as we have last price on forex with Exchange execution type, which is the same type use for Stock Exchange, why can we observe that, with Forex last price is always the bid, and with Stock Exchange last price can be bid, ask or even other price ? In the beginning I thought it was clear but even with answer from Malacarne or Ubzen, I am now in the mist !

IMO, last price just make sense in the stock market, and is the market price of an asset or the price of the most recent transaction. Last price can move to Bid or Ask price, it depends of the last transaction.

Do we have last price in MT4? No, because MT4 don't exchange stocks, just currency.

About Bid and Ask they are the same in any market, or business, when someone buy something from other part, but here we have some cultural problems. 

For instance, most homebroker just show last price in graphs, don't show Bid and Ask, just in the moment you ask for a trade. 

Also, at this moment, as market is centralized, as stated by Malacarne, homebroker can show Bid/Ask different as MT5 show when you Sell or Buy stocks.

As MT5 don't show last price on graphs (it's allways Bid, as stated) trader of stocks used with homebrokers can't identify easily the market price of the asset, what is a big cultural problem, mainly if you have a big spread.

Maybe, in the future, would be interesting have in MT5 an option to show just or also the last price in graphs, as most homebrokers do.

figurelli:

IMO, last price just make sense in the stock market, and is the market price of an asset or the price of the most recent transaction. Last price can move to Bid or Ask price, it depends of the last transaction.

Maybe you are right, but we are here to understand, so the question is why ? I don't see at first a valid reason, there is also a last transaction in Forex, of course for your broker as there no centralized market.

Do we have last price in MT4? No, because MT4 don't exchange stocks, just currency.

We have last price with some broker on MT5 (Forex), so it would be great to understand what it means and if it's usable for trading with Forex.

About Bid and Ask they are the same in any market, or business, when someone buy something from other part, but here we have some cultural problems. 

For instance, most homebroker just show last price in graphs, don't show Bid and Ask, just in the moment you ask for a trade.

What is a "homebroker" ?

Also, at this moment, as market is centralized, as stated by Malacarne, homebroker can show Bid/Ask different as MT5 show when you Sell or Buy stocks.

Sorry, but here too I don't understand, can you explain please ?
As MT5 don't show last price on graphs (it's allways Bid, as stated) trader of stocks used with homebrokers can't identify easily the market price of the asset, what is a big cultural problem, mainly if you have a big spread.

Maybe, in the future, would be interesting have in MT5 an option to show just or also the last price in graphs, as most homebrokers do.

It certainly would be an interesting feature to have the possibility to draw the chart from Bid/Ask/Last.

figurelli:

IMO, last price just make sense in the stock market, and is the market price of an asset or the price of the most recent transaction. Last price can move to Bid or Ask price, it depends of the last transaction.

angevoyageur:
Maybe you are right, but we are here to understand, so the question is why ? I don't see at first a valid reason, there is also a last transaction in Forex, of course for your broker as there no centralized market.

figurelli:
Why? Simple, as Malacarne stated, the stock market is centralized, i.e., someone (like BM&FBovespa in Brazil) that will check all trades in the market. If you know all trades you know the last price, simple as that! But in the Forex, trades are done direct, without a centralized control, so if Figurelli buy from Alain using Broker XYZ, who cares? Just the Broker XYZ and their regulators, if they really have this unified control, but if you have a different broker probably each one will show one last price. So, in my opinion, this last price, not centralized, don't make sense to the market.

figurelli:

angevoyageur:
We have last price with some broker on MT5 (Forex), so it would be great to understand what it means and if it's usable for trading with Forex.

figurelli:

I totally agree about that, since as I stated before they have their last price. Anyway, be aware about this last price, since it's not Forex symbol last price, as far as I know this is an utopy.

figurelli:

angevoyageur:
What is a "homebroker" ?

figurelli:
Sorry about that, we use this acronym in Brazil and some other Latin America countries. It's any final consumer trading platform, like MetaTrader. 

figurelli:

angevoyageur:
Sorry, but here too I don't understand, can you explain please ?

figurelli:
For sure, I refer "New Order Window", some homebrokers show the Last Price instead of Bid/Ask as MT5 (as the graph problem). Looks irrelevant, but even advisors here have doubts if the spread is high.

figurelli:

angevoyageur:
It certainly would be an interesting feature to have the possibility to draw the chart from Bid/Ask/Last.

figurelli:
I see this as imperative for a multi-market platform, like MT5, mainly when you have low liquidity assets.

figurelli:

angevoyageur:

figurelli:
Why? Simple, as Malacarne stated, the stock market is centralized, i.e., someone (like BM&FBovespa in Brazil) that will check all trades in the market. If you know all trades you know the last price, simple as that! But in the Forex, trades are done direct, without a centralized control, so if Figurelli buy from Alain using Broker XYZ, who cares? Just the Broker XYZ and their regulators, if they really have this unified control, but if you have a different broker probably each one will show one last price. So, in my opinion, this last price, not centralized, don't make sense to the market.

Ok, let take one point at a time.

Again, we are talking about MT5, where some brokers provides Depth of Market and last price. Of course this last price can't be the last of all the Forex, it can only be the last price for this broker. In the same way, DOM provided for forex instrument can only be for the broker who provided it. It is understood.

But if some brokers provide this last price (and DOM) for Forex, I can only suppose this can be useful and accurate data (again, with the restriction stated above). Otherwise we have to conclude that DOM and last price for Forex are useless. Is it your opinion ?

If not, the question remains, why the last price provided in these conditions is always the bid ? The broker knows the price of each trade, why can't he provide the last price as bid or ask ? Sorry to insist but I still do not understand.

angevoyageur: If not, the question remains, why the last price provided in these conditions is always the bid ? The broker knows the price of each trade, why can't he provide the last price as bid or ask ? Sorry to insist but I still do not understand.

Why is this sooo important to you? It might be helpful to explain this more so that we could understand your question better. I mean they're good question ... when someone thinks about it enough :) ... but why important to You?

I understand your question that the brokers last.price cannot always be someone selling ... meaning that sometimes someone must have been buying. So where's the Ask for last.price when this happens? And I think your other question is why is Last.Price important?  I'm not going to pretend to understand how everything works in the background with mt5, for that we could always try asking metaQuotes and their answer is probably going to be none-of-your-business. I'm just going to give my opinions as I've come to understand them through my reading from online sources for the past 3+ years. 

• 1) This is the part you already know. Sorry, like everyone else I find a need to repeat it.
  • - Forex is De-centralized. The concept of a Last_Price in mt5 probably applies more to Stocks than it does to Forex. For Forex, it doesn't have quite the same meaning. Therefore in that context, its pointless.
  • - Generally a Traditional Broker (Market-Maker/Bank) must always post a (Bid AND Ask) when someone requests a quote by law.
  • - ECNs show the last Best (Bid AND Ask) from their Liquidity providers. I don't think Best offers are the same as Last.Prices.
  • - The Liquidity providers are the Inter-Banks. You know the guys who offers 2_Points spreads on EURUSD which I never get to see.

• 2) This is the part we read ... but I do-not think anyone have the entire story.
  • - In my mind, if last.price is always Bid, that doesn't mean someone didn't buy (or sell depending on point of view). All mt5 price_loggers could be logging 1-price namely the bid. Therefore, if last transaction was performed at the Ask then it goes Ask-Spread and logs that as the last.price.
  • - Theres another good reason for this because Forex-Brokers are suppose to mind-their-business in Forex. Meaning other markets tells you the (Volume & Direction) but Forex decided to only tell you the (Volume) <-I remember this from my very first video which introduced me to Forex.
  • - This was also the reason they always provide a (Bid & Ask) instead of asking you "Do you intend to Buy?" as that'll be dangerous because now they could stick you with a higher price. These rules came about during the time of telephone trading.
  • - Anyways, I think Malacarne is correct Here in terms of how Market-Makers operate. However, the ECN guys Aren't** suppose to operate the same way. I place a ** upon aren't because I do-not believe anyone know exactly how this process goes down. Its like using a programming_Class where the methods and implementations are hidden.
  • - The ECN is suppose to pass your trade to the Inter-Bank but does this happen for 0.01 Lots trades .... humm probably not.
  • - What good is the Last.Price upon ECN when they're going to stick you with whatever price when you submit your trade?
  • - Does the ECN broker operate the same way as the MM broker (meaning take your trade when they know you're on the wrong side of the trade ... but pass it to someone else when you're right)? Ouch.
  • - Does the broker always go out and purchase from the inter-bank and then re-sell the instrument to you with a higher spread and/or +commission?
  • - Does the broker always pass my trades to the Interbank but charge me the spreads||commission which amounts to the same as 1_pip instead of 2_points?
  • - For the above 2 questions, does it make a difference how its implemented. When I purchase a car, do I care about how much the seller paid, or how much I'm paying?

Both MM and ECN have advantages and dis-advantages. As far as the Last.Price, I cannot foresee it being very helpful. Therefore, I'll have to say that my Opinion is that its Useless for Forex.

angevoyageur:

Ok, let take one point at a time.

Again, we are talking about MT5, where some brokers provides Depth of Market and last price. Of course this last price can't be the last of all the Forex, it can only be the last price for this broker. In the same way, DOM provided for forex instrument can only be for the broker who provided it. It is understood.

But if some brokers provide this last price (and DOM) for Forex, I can only suppose this can be useful and accurate data (again, with the restriction stated above). Otherwise we have to conclude that DOM and last price for Forex are useless. Is it your opinion ?

If not, the question remains, why the last price provided in these conditions is always the bid ? The broker knows the price of each trade, why can't he provide the last price as bid or ask ? Sorry to insist but I still do not understand.

Thanks for taking one point at a time ;-)

Regarding your main question "why the last price provided in these conditions is always the bid? ", in my opinion this is a decision of MQ, because there is no rule about that.

And this is the big point for me, in stocks this price is well know by all actors of the market, it would be no sense don't publish the right price.  

But in Forex, the platform providers, as MQ, can decide what last price use, since there is no centralized price. And looks like MQ decide buy Bid.

However, if we have DOM as you stated, and some brokers delivery the right last price (I'm not sure about that, regarding Forex), in my opinion this 'allways Bid' simplification may change (even if each broker has their different last price).

Anyway, if you ask me "Why they don't change?", I think we must ask them about that, because maybe our vision is myope about that, or maybe they didn't realize about this possibility, or, yet, maybe they plan do this in future.

Ubzen:

Why is this sooo important to you? It might be helpful to explain this more so that we could understand your question better.

Both MM and ECN have advantages and dis-advantages. As far as the Last.Price, I cannot foresee it being very helpful. Therefore, I'll have to say that my Opinion is that its Useless for Forex.

"Last Price is useless for Forex". I'm astonished with this sentence... 

I really don't know how experienced you guys are with trading, however the last price is absolutely important in all aspects of trading, especially for those who develop expert advisors.
Let me put a very simple example of how the last price can have serious implications for trading systems:

■ Imagine an expert advisor that works with STOP LIMIT ORDERS 

■ Stop limit orders work with 2 different prices, the first one is usually called the TRIGGER price and the second one is called the EXECUTION price.

■ The functioning system of stop limit orders is very symple: if the TRIGGER price is reached, a limit order is immediately sent to the broker to be executed at the EXECUTION price.

Now please tell me: when will a stop limit order be activated? The answer is: when the LAST price is equal (or higher) to the TRIGGER price !!!

With this in mind, consider now the design pattern of MT5: the last price is always the bid price. Please consider the first situation below:

Now consider the second situation:

This is exactly what is occuring at this time with MT5 when trading Forex... What conclusions can be drawn from this situation?

1) SELL STOP and SELL STOP LIMIT orders are being executed always at the "right price", i.e., we actually see the chart reaching the trigger price for these types of orders...

2) BUY STOP and BUY STOP LIMIT orders are being WRONGLY executed, beacuse they are executed, by design, when the ASK price crosses the TRIGGER price, however we don't actually see the chart reaching that price level.

Now imagine expert advisors that work with scalping strategies, day trading, etc, where even a small price change could be the difference between profit and loss?

This is a very interesting discussion, as stated by Alain, and in my opinion it's worth knowing exactly how the software is designed, otherwise any EA development attempt could fail due to this "useless" detail...

Malacarne:

"Last Price is useless for Forex". I'm astonished with this sentence... 

I really don't know how experienced you guys are with trading, however the last price is absolutely important in all aspects of trading, especially for those who develop expert advisors.
Let me put a very simple example of how the last price can have serious implications for trading systems:

■ Imagine an expert advisor that works with STOP LIMIT ORDERS 

■ Stop limit orders work with 2 different prices, the first one is usually called the TRIGGER price and the second one is called the EXECUTION price.

■ The functioning system of stop limit orders is very symple: if the TRIGGER price is reached, a limit order is immediately sent to the broker to be executed at the EXECUTION price.

Now please tell me: when will a stop limit order be activated? The answer is: when the LAST price is equal (or higher) to the TRIGGER price !!!

With this in mind, consider now the design pattern of MT5: the last price is always the bid price. Please consider the first situation below:

Now consider the second situation:

This is exactly what is occuring at this time with MT5 when trading Forex... What conclusions can be drawn from this situation?

1) SELL STOP and SELL STOP LIMIT orders are being executed always at the "right price", i.e., we actually see the chart reaching the trigger price for these types of orders...

2) BUY STOP and BUY STOP LIMIT orders are being WRONGLY executed, beacuse they are executed, by design, when the ASK price crosses the TRIGGER price, however we don't actually see the chart reaching that price level.

Now imagine expert advisors that work with scalping strategies, day trading, etc, where even a small price change could be the difference between profit and loss?

This is a very interesting discussion, as stated by Alain, and in my opinion it's worth knowing exactly how the software is designed, otherwise any EA development attempt could fail due to this "useless" detail...

There's no need talking down to the rest of us. We just have different opinions about whats a developer should know vs what they assume (ass_u_me). Every decent developer on mt4 || mt5 should know that Buy@Ask and Sell@Bid. If this developer doesn't know how to turn-on the Ask_Line then who's fault is it MetaQuotes? This same developer may not know that his indicator is re-painting because he cannot see it ... whose fault is it metaQuotes? This same developer may not know that a computer cannot represent doubles_exactly and if( price != price ) is bad programming ... whose fault is it metaQuotes?

You left some very important information out of your examples. Here a link which give a better example http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stop-limitorder.asp.

You'll need to tell us what the Ask_Price is doing in-order to provide a more complete example. Otherwise, you're just giving excuses to bad_programming. As in, if you cannot see it that means it doesn't exist.

Stop-Limit Order Definition | Investopedia
Stop-Limit Order Definition | Investopedia
  • www.investopedia.com
An order placed with a broker that combines the features of stop order with those of a limit order. A stop-limit order will be executed at a specified price (or better) after a given stop price has been reached. Once the stop price is reached, the stop-limit order becomes a limit order to buy (or sell) at the limit price or better...
Reason: