Ideal stop loss & take profit on each trade

I've seen many trading systems here, but none has a convincing stop loss for an hourly chart. Plz suggest your possible stop loss strategy on 1 hour tf and let's hope we might strike it right.

Essentials for the stop loss,

1- Should be less than 50. Preferrably less than 30/35.

2- Should be effective and possibily a reversal point.

3- Should be easily identified.

Thnx

kevin

kevmcfoster:
I've seen many trading systems here, but none has a convincing stop loss for an hourly chart. Plz suggest your possible stop loss strategy on 1 hour tf and let's hope we might strike it right.

Essentials for the stop loss,

1- Should be less than 50. Preferrably less than 30/35.

2- Should be effective and possibily a reversal point.

3- Should be easily identified.

Thnx

kevin

Unless your scalping, 30/35 will trip out a lot of good orders. The best thing to do is to use a really high stop loss so you don't get stopped and utilizie trailing stops using the same value.

I find my EA does poorly on GBP/USD unless I use at least a 200 pip stop. You can look at the D1 and see why. That's the personality of the GBP/USD. I can usually use a lower SL on EUR/USD but still 100 seems to work best.

ra300z:
Unless your scalping, 30/35 will trip out a lot of good orders. The best thing to do is to use a really high stop loss so you don't get stopped and utilizie trailing stops using the same value. I find my EA does poorly on GBP/USD unless I use at least a 200 pip stop. You can look at the D1 and see why. That's the personality of the GBP/USD. I can usually use a lower SL on EUR/USD but still 100 seems to work best.

if you rely on a 200 pip drawdown to get a good trade, then you should likely find a less risky system, if that stop loss gets hit, you're giong to have a pain in the but recovering unless you have a good reward possibility as well, and i would only reccomend attempting at such if you have at least $3,000 for a 200 pip stop loss, otherwise that's quite the gamble.

maybe 100 but you've got to make sure you have a good risk reward ratio.

another thing that may help improve the need of that big of a stop loss would be TIMING your entries, as most problems getting stopped out would be solved when one can do that well.

Sl Tp

I'm using pivot indicator to determine SL and TP ...entry point in 30 TF and put SL and TP about 20 - 30 pips from entry price ....my target is 20 pips a day

The price ussually take a breath at the nearest pivot line before its going reversal or crossing the line ....that's why I put my SL / TP at the nearest pivot line ....

================

Forex Indicators Collection

ideal stop loss & take profit on each trade

Hi guys,

I just wondering about your ideal stop loss on all major pairs and TF based on your experience. Thanks.

thanks for the feedback. Okay, I would like to narrow the entry/exit point. Assuming that we are in the correct entry, what would the ideal SL and TP. If these SL and TP did not work that means the problem would be in the entry/exit position. So what's the ideal SL and TP you think?

I would look to program the strategy and then run some optimization tests. If you choose this path don't forget to consider curve fitting as its the biggest enemy of optimization. There is a lot of literature around concerning these matters.

Regards

what is the best ts for EUR/USD 5-15-30min?

stop loss & take profit>50?

thanks.

Using a swing trading system on 1hr charts, I find that a stop of 2.5X ATR(14) works very well. For some cross pairs, I also use 3XATR(14). This is for small trade sizes, and usually equates to a SL around 100-150 pips. I realize this is not what you asked for, but this isn't a scalping system either. I think positive R/R is very important, so if your TP is 30 pips, then your SL shouldn't be any larger.

Ideal StopLoss and TakeProfit depends on your trading strategy and enrty point. If you trading is automatic use Metatrader optimization. If you trade manualy you can optimize SL and TP using TradeSimOpt.

Generally speaking, the safer approach in regards to SL and TP should be in a 1:1 ratio the higher the better, I see a lot of strategies here that has very bad  RR yet they made some profits at the early going or even a couple of months but this kind of approach is not really meant for long time success, but we all know that trading is not just about good RR, good winning percentage should also be part of it, you can have good RR approach but if you are having more losing trades still you end up being a loser, but then again its easier said than done, because psychological aspect will also play a very important factor. Follow the general rule which is keep your loses small.
Reason: