OILFXPRO double-quad b/o free version E A - page 3

omelette:
This is a perfect example of why the Metatrader Backtest results MUST be taken with a pinch of salt...

Below are four Equity curves for GBPUSD, same start-date 07-01-04.

1: El Cid's backtest results, contained in zip file, first post, up until 06-29-07 (4 years)

2: My Backtest results, 90% modelling quality, to present date.

3: Hans123 Backtest results, my own EA but strict Hans' default settings. Note it does BETTER than El Cids...

4: Actual forward test of Hans123 strategy, BUT only two months (cos' that is all that MT is 'giving' me...)

Note I am not saying that El Cid's results are at fault, I am saying that IMO ALL Metatrader backtests are in general, worthless...

Yes, I am becoming increasingly negative with regard to Backtests...

PS Slight correction: The 'Actual Forward test' is for both GBPUSD and EURUSD as per Hans...

Thanks Omelette for illustrating a good point. I have traded this EA in the past with good results. I only gave it up because I found better results with other EAs such as the latest Cyberia Trader which is a solid performer IMHO. I recommend that you also look at Hans on the M15 timeframe since it seems to perform better in live trading than on H1. There are 2 ways to trade Hans..one is the original with session1 on 5GMT and session2 on 9GMT (4 hr sessions) or the second which works best 8GMT and 13GMT respectively (4 hr sessions as well). I can truly say that besides Cyberia Trader, I could not find a more profitable EA than Hans123 including the highly touted Firebird and Phoenix. Nothing comes even close..good luck trading to everybody!

This is a perfect example of why the Metatrader Backtest results MUST be taken with a pinch of salt...

Below are four Equity curves for GBPUSD, first three have same start-date, 07-01-04.

1: El Cid's backtest results, contained in zip file, first post, up until 06-29-07 (4 years)

3: Hans123 Backtest results, my own EA but strict Hans' default settings. Note it does BETTER than El Cids...

4: Actual forward test of Hans123 strategy, BUT only two months (cos' that is all that MT is 'giving' me...)

Note I am not saying that El Cid's results are at fault, I am saying that IMO ALL Metatrader backtests are in general, worthless...

PS Slight correction: The 'Actual Forward test' is for both GBPUSD and EURUSD as per Hans...

PPS Damn, forgot that the 'Actual Forward Test' also include Grid trading results, but 'most' of the profits have been Hans123...

fxspeedster:
Thanks Omelette for illustrating a good point. I have traded this EA in the past with good results. I only gave it up because I found better results with other EAs such as the latest Cyberia Trader which is a solid performer IMHO. I recommend that you also look at Hans on the M15 timeframe since it seems to perform better in live trading than on H1. There are 2 ways to trade Hans..one is the original with session1 on 5GMT and session2 on 9GMT (4 hr sessions) or the second which works best 8GMT and 13GMT respectively (4 hr sessions as well). I can truly say that besides Cyberia Trader, I could not find a more profitable EA than Hans123 including the highly touted Firebird and Phoenix. Nothing comes even close..good luck trading to everybody!

fxspeedster, one of the main deficiencies I found with the 'original' Hans' Ea's was that they didn't handle missing bars correctly so I spent hundreds of hours on my own version (not available so don't ask anyone) fixing that and adding improvments. As a result, my version produces identical results on all timeperiods. Unfortunately my 'improvements' only reduce profitibility so I use Hans' default settings always. That said, in a choppy market, this strategy can really maul your account...

omelette:

Below are four Equity curves for GBPUSD, first three have same start-date, 07-01-04.

PPS Damn, forgot that the 'Actual Forward Test' also include Grid trading results, but 'most' of the profits have been Hans123...

kjhfdgjfhdghdf

Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2007

All EA's backtested on perfect modelling quality will never work the same on live data.

NEVER.

Look at the differences in how systems work on different brokers, on demo and live, how all of a sudden MT4 downloads 2 bars, out of the blue, and how downloads diff data all the time.

This is broker giving messed up data so your system wont do what it supposed to do and not go the way it supposed to go.

If you start making profits, they start doing it even more.

They must put you in a group the "making money lets mess with them" group.

23:19:59 HistoryCenter: synchronize 'GBPUSDm240'

23:20:02 HistoryCenter: 3008 bars imported in 'GBPUSDm240'

23:20:02 HistoryCenter: synchronize 'GBPUSDm240'

23:20:03 HistoryCenter: 2 bars imported in 'GBPUSDm240'

You think these bars are to help you?LOL

There is no holy grail, you win some lose some and try and make the win some more than the lose some.

el cid:
Omlette

We tested the strategy with a reversal and it produced over 5100 pips per year over 2 1/2 years .The testing was done by two different people with 2 two different sets of data .One tested it tradestation and another one on his own written program on his computer.

In contrast your figures are way out.I am sorry to say your figures are suspicious very suspicious.

The E A S attached are the previous versions of the Hans strategy

El Cid, As I suggested in my opening post, I am not questioning the validity of the strategy, what I am saying is you cannot prove anything with backtests - especially where Metatrader is involved. Good for you that you have backtested the strategy on more a more reliable platform and are not relying on Metatrader - maybe you should post those backtests instead.

In an effort to reproduce your results, I have just downloaded MT IBFX, and fresh GBPUSD data. Google tells me they are GMT 0 so this is what I used on the attached backtest. But no matter what server settings I try, the resulting equity curve remains largely unchanged.

Also attached are two Hans123 tests, one WHC data, the other IBFX. As you can see, the equity curves are practically identical.

I have absolutely no agenda here, my only 'beef' is with Metatraders Backtest results so if you can show me where I am going wrong I'd appreciate it.

PS Just noticed that though both Hans123 are of 89.9% modelling quality and the equity curves are similar, they have very different end results. Which is it - the data or Metatrader??? (sorry, no third option allowed )

PPS Upped the same pic. twice...

omelette:
El Cid, As I suggested in my opening post, I am not questioning the validity of the strategy, what I am saying is you cannot prove anything with backtests - especially where Metatrader is involved. Good for you that you have backtested the strategy on more a more reliable platform and are not relying on Metatrader - maybe you should post those backtests instead. ...

The results are posted in post no 27 above .These are results of one version of my strategy

I am using Alpari 1 M data and this is what most people use.Some people say it is no good but I don't know

Regards

El Cid

oilfxpro money managements

what is good money management?

Money Management Articles

omelette:

Omlette

We tested the strategy with a reversal and it produced over 5100 pips per year over 2 1/2 years .The testing was done by two different people with 2 two different sets of data .One tested it tradestation and another one on his own written program on his computer.

In contrast your figures are way out.I am sorry to say your figures are suspicious very suspicious.

Hi folks

Test out this E A and see if you agree with the results .It actually made over 8000 pips on cable

Do the figures agree with you guys? for same period testing ?

El cid

Files:

fix for your EA.

Hi ElCid,

Your EA is based on GoaXing, did you add improvements too it too make it better in some kind of way.

I can make a fix to make it work in backtesting-mode.

However I can not reproduce your equityGraph. Which timeframe were you testing. 1H or lower?

God's Bless

Gerry

Reason: