MT4 memory usage

I noticed in my 'Task Manager' window that my platform 'Terminal.exe' is slowly increasing memory usage.

Anybody experienced the same thing and has ideas what can cause it and how to deal with it.

thanks

euro

Hey European...are you using a .dll by any chance?

When I have just the terminal, I don't seem to notice this issue, but I have a .dll that I use. When I'm using that, then I notice the issue.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem...

BW

european:
I noticed in my 'Task Manager' window that my platform 'Terminal.exe' is slowly increasing memory usage.

Anybody experienced the same thing and has ideas what can cause it and how to deal with it.

thanks

euro

yes, i've experienced it since build 207. sometimes memory usage goes to 100% with the terminal. don't know what to do about it.

I've noticed that recently too. Here is a cool link to a freeware program. highly rated and I would agree..

YourWare Solutions - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

Thanks to this thread! No wonder, I thought what's wrong with my computer that suddenly become slow and Windows start incresing its virtual memory. I thought its because I open too many charts. Any solution for this? Thx.

Cheers,

Build 204

Ever since Build 204 MT4 has sucked (and I love MT4).

It's becoming slower, the PF usage heavier, when the market starts to really move and therefore with each tick the station references all indicators currently on chart, the CPU maxes out to 100%.

Since 204, the optimizing/backtest cut speed and took 4 times longer to do the same work it was previously.

What is really archaic is the fact that MT4 is not a multi-threaded application so you do not gain full advantage of running dual/quad core cpu's.

At the moment it's pitiful.

Archer

i think it will consume more memory if we open many charts with lower time frame.charts with many indicators also will consume many memory as well

I had this problem. just uninstall mt4 and reinstall it again. then it flies!

I must agree with Linuxser regarding which indicators you are placing into your charts. Some poorly written indicators can really slow your system down. The easiest way to correct this is to shutdown metatrader. Go into your experts folder and remove both the .ex4 and the mq4 file ( or just rename them) of the indicator you think is causing the bottle neck.

But, reading this thread another thought came into my mind.

If Most indicators recalculate the values every tick. And of course the tick data is controlled by from your broker. Couldn't it be possible that a broker could feed hundreds or even thousands of upticks and downticks in milliseconds without necessary changing the quote price by that much. In affect bottle necking your trading platform on purpose? Sorry I am skeptical of brokers. The market is a Dog-Eat-Dog world.

If so, wouldnt it be better to code indicators that update on time instead of ticks. For example every 500 milliseconds or 1 second.

cutzpr:
I must agree with Linuxser regarding which indicators you are placing into your charts. Some poorly written indicators can really slow your system down. The easiest way to correct this is to shutdown metatrader. Go into your experts folder and remove both the .ex4 and the mq4 file ( or just rename them) of the indicator you think is causing the bottle neck.

But, reading this thread another thought came into my mind.

If Most indicators recalculate the values every tick. And of course the tick data is controlled by from your broker. Couldn't it be possible that a broker could feed hundreds or even thousands of upticks and downticks in milliseconds without necessary changing the quote price by that much. In affect bottle necking your trading platform on purpose? Sorry I am skeptical of brokers. The market is a Dog-Eat-Dog world.

If so, wouldnt it be better to code indicators that update on time instead of ticks. For example every 500 milliseconds or 1 second.

Thanks friend for the information, i did not know much about it.

Reason: