Trailing Stop hashout :)

Hello all, I'm still trying to understand this trailing stop thing believe it or now and how and when SL moves because of it

Lets say I have a Sell trade open; TrailingStop=1

1.1287 SL=1.1398 TP=1.1276

Now price moves to 1.1286, with TrailingStop set to 1, doesn't that mean when I get to +1 pip profit, move SL to that point?

Some clear examples/scenarios would be awesome

Thanks

you have a buy at 1.3000 and trailing stop is 100 (!!! not 1 !!!)

whatever your stoploss is, when the price moves to 1.3001 your stoploss moves to 1.2901. when the price moves to 1.3100 your stop will be 1.3000

Is that clear???

Trailing stop of 1 means you want to move stoploss to 1 pip lower than buy's position which is not likely to happen.

In your case

when the price moves to 1.1286 your stoploss will be 1.1287

Shinigami:
you have a buy at 1.3000 and trailing stop is 100 (!!! not 1 !!!)

whatever your stoploss is, when the price moves to 1.3001 your stoploss moves to 1.2901. when the price moves to 1.3100 your stop will be 1.3000

Is that clear???

Trailing stop of 1 means you want to move stoploss to 1 pip lower than buy's position which is not likely to happen.

In your case

when the price moves to 1.1286 your stoploss will be 1.1287

Ok but why 100?

All I want is when the the price moves to a profit position, then move SL to positive position so just in case the price doesn't hit TP and goes against me, then I'll still break even.

So, isn't setting TrailingStop to 1 telling the trade when price gets 1pip in profit, move SL there to protect the trade?

Is this right?

If TrailingStop=6

I open a Buy trade at 1.200 now when price moves to 1.207 SL is moved to 1.201, correct?

Now when I have TrailingStep=2 price has to get to 1.213 to move SL another pip to 1.202? or will it move SL up to 1.207?

Thanks

The simple answer is this;

Your TS will move at the rate you set it behind the current price.

So if TS = 10 (Most brokers wont allow you to set it closer than that)

And your entry price is 1.0010, nothing will happen to your SL until the price hits 1.0020, then your TS will kick in and it will trail the current price by 10 pips.

If the current price starts to reverse on you, the TS will stay at it's last fixed position, it will never retreat.

KaMpeR:
The simple answer is this;

Your TS will move at the rate you set it behind the current price.

So if TS = 10 (Most brokers wont allow you to set it closer than that)

And your entry price is 1.0010, nothing will happen to your SL until the price hits 1.0020, then your TS will kick in and it will trail the current price by 10 pips.

If the current price starts to reverse on you, the TS will stay at it's last fixed position, it will never retreat.

Good concise explanation.

Also.....check with your broker about the use of TS. In my case (and maybe most others), the client platform needs to be open and running for TS to be working. In other words, TS runs on your computer and is not held in your brokers servers like your regular SL is.

Ok, thanks. I think I get it now. IBFX says their min TS is 15 but in Demo I use the e-trailing EA that seems to be working with a TS of 6. Should I still be ok with a live account and the e-trailing EA still set for 6 since the broker isn't controlling the TS?

I was just talking with IBFX and they said that once TS is hit and price continues to move in my favor it will continue to move SL pip for pip. Is that the way the e-trailing EA works?

I thought that TS would only move my SL again when price triggers TS again at +30pips

Thanks

matrixebiz:
So, isn't setting TrailingStop to 1 telling the trade when price gets 1pip in profit, move SL there to protect the trade?

If you want to protect your trade, use breakeven.

If you use 1 pip trailing stop, it will wipe out every position you have in an instant because price moves up/down all the time (around 5-15 pips) so having a small trailing stop is almost useless. My trailing stops are all around 75-100 because others wipe out positions too soon.

If your target isn't more than 50 pips you might want to use a small trailing stop. But I recommend using an EA that moves trailing stops for you instead of using build-in trail

Reason: