MT4 Editor Compiler

How do I tell the MT4 Editor to compile using the new MT4 on my PC? Its keeps trying to use the old libraries...

et_phonehome_2:
How do I tell the MT4 Editor to compile using the new MT4 on my PC? Its keeps trying to use the old libraries...

Each instance of MT4 has its own copy of the MetaEditor. You're probably using your old instance of MetaEditor instead of your new one.

I have the mq4 file saved in a general directory, but when I click on the mq4 source, it uses the old compiler. How can I redirect all future compiles to use the newer MT4?

MQ4 Extension

et_phonehome_2:
I have the mq4 file saved in a general directory, but when I click on the mq4 source, it uses the old compiler. How can I redirect all future compiles to use the newer MT4?

Windows can only have 1 relation to the .mq4 extension.

This will most likely be the most recent installed Netatrader editor.

You can check the current application by:

opening the FileExplorer / Tools / Folder options / File types and then scroll to the mq4 file type.

If it's not the correct Editor you like to use, click the change button and then Browse for the right one.

HerbertH:
Windows can only have 1 relation to the .mq4 extension.

This will most likely be the most recent installed Netatrader editor.

You can check the current application by:

opening the FileExplorer / Tools / Folder options / File types and then scroll to the mq4 file type.

If it's not the correct Editor you like to use, click the change button and then Browse for the right one.

It still does not work, it still points back to the old editor though I had changed it. I know the easiest way is to use the editor of MT4 then do an open, but of course, I want ot just double click on the program, and expect it to pick up the correct MT4 I am using....

et_phonehome_2:
It still does not work, it still points back to the old editor though I had changed it. I know the easiest way is to use the editor of MT4 then do an open, but of course, I want ot just double click on the program, and expect it to pick up the correct MT4 I am using....

The problem is that both versions of the MetaEditor have the same name, which is likely to confuse Windows. If you double-click, it simply selects the last MetaEditor instance you have used. If you no longer run MT3 programs you could try to uninstall all MT3 installations, which should resolve the problem.

If that's not an option, there is one more thing you can try. If you right-click your mq4 file, there should be an option "Open With". From the menu the comes up, select "Choose Program...". This will open the File Types popup window. Either, the new MT4 Editor is already listed under "Recommended Programs" or "Other Programs", or you will have to browse to it. Either way, once you have selected the MT4 Editor, make sure to check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". But given the fact that as I said the name MetaEditor is not unique, I'm not sure it would help. One further thing you can try is to copy the MetaEditor.exe, call it MetaEditor4.exe (something that MetaQuotes should ahve done), and see if you can associate your MQ4 files with the renamed editor. I have not tried this, as I don't have the problem.

Reason: