Can anyone answer this question?

What would cause an EA not to trade when attached to a chart eventhough if I run it through the strategy tester with exact same settings it shows trades. I have checked "allow live trading" and the chart has a smiley face. I would greatly appreciate an answer because it is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Kevin

No error messages (in Journal and/or Experts tab)?

No error messages showing in journal or expert tab. Says loaded successfully.

Kevin

I think one can say that basically there are five technical differences between backward and forward testing: 1) the "market info" details such as spread and stop level, 2) account information, 3) the actual distribution (in time) and levels of "ticks", 4) that the EA starts without or with significant chart history, and 5) the accessible directory for data files.

A quiet failure may also be caused by an infinite loop.

Your EA may fail silently wrt #1 if the trading logic refuses to trade in certain market information conditions, and they happen to be the case;

it may fail silently wrt #2 if the trading logic refuses to trade in certain account situations, and they happen to be the case;

it may fail silently wrt #3 due to decision logic being (overly) sensitive to timing or relative levels of ticks;

it may fail silently due to #4 if there is a sensitivity to chart history size, e.g. an initialisation happening on short history (only);

it may fail silentliy wrt #5 if data files exist but differ.

It probably goes without saying that a snoop at the code would reduce the amount of guess work

I have the same issues even though I uninstalled/reinstalled MT4, and re-compiled EAs....

Reason: