Solution to computer restarts, keep those EAs running - page 3

richest:
I haven't tried it yet, but are you sure that via linux vps we can install mt4? As far as I understand, the remote linux vps can only be accessed via ssh and I think the WINE must be viewed on a console not via ssh. Can you elaborate more on this?

If you SSH in to a linux server, you are already in the console. If you have root access you can install wine, or ask the server provider to install it for you.

jafar00:
If you SSH in to a linux server, you are already in the console. If you have root access you can install wine, or ask the server provider to install it for you.

quite interesting. I thought that the console was accessed via others instead of ssh since the console would be in graphics. I honestly just knew it now. If I know it before, probably I prefer to run it under linux since it is cheaper. Thanks for the info.

--update--

I just done some research and found this Forum Forum - View Single Post - Run MT4 on Dedicated Linux Server

I think it's your own statement saying that on the remote linux server, I must stay connected to the console in order the mt4 to constantly running. This is not what I wanted. I simply want the mt4 to keep on running without staying connected to the remote server.

richest:
quite interesting. I thought that the console was accessed via others instead of ssh since the console would be in graphics. I honestly just knew it now. If I know it before, probably I prefer to run it under linux since it is cheaper. Thanks for the info.

--update--

I just done some research and found this Forum Forum - View Single Post - Run MT4 on Dedicated Linux Server

I think it's your own statement saying that on the remote linux server, I must stay connected to the console in order the mt4 to constantly running. This is not what I wanted. I simply want the mt4 to keep on running without staying connected to the remote server.

In that post I was talking about an XDMCP remote desktop login. A VPS would be a different matter altogether. Ask the VPS provider if you can start a GUI application on the Linux VPS and have it stay running when you disconnect.

jafar00:
In that post I was talking about an XDMCP remote desktop login. A VPS would be a different matter altogether. Ask the VPS provider if you can start a GUI application on the Linux VPS and have it stay running when you disconnect.

ic, btw what's the minimum ram specs of the vps in order the mt4 to be able to run? In windows it's 256mb of ram. Is it the same with linux?

richest:
ic, btw what's the minimum ram specs of the vps in order the mt4 to be able to run? In windows it's 256mb of ram. Is it the same with linux?

Less than 512 is not good IMHO.

Take a look here for Windows Server 2003 requirements.

Linux with Wine does not need less than that also.

Linuxser:
Less than 512 is not good IMHO.

Take a look here for Windows Server 2003 requirements.

Linux with Wine does not need less than that also.

how about in linux? does it require the same ram with windows or less?

btw i use win 2003 std

Quote from microsoft:

128 MB of RAM required; 256 MB or more recommended; 4 GB maximum

I'm still fine running mt4

If linux require the same ram, I would like to run a trial in the future.

Possible Solution

Hello all,

I am a very new newbie around here and I have been reading a lot of posts on everything that is here. No, I am nowhere close to having read all of them. I do very much appreciate the info that is here.

With this particular thread hopefully these .pdf files will help though. They tell you how to set up metatrader on a windows vps server so that mt4 will automatically restart with the restarting of the server.

jafar00:
I've run MT4 under linux for about a year with live accounts in the 4 and 5 figure range and I've never had a problem. A linux box will quite happily run for several years without requiring a restart! The other advantage is no annoyances like viruses or other malware .

I wrote a howto at Howto: Metatrader 4 under LINUX (mods can remove the link if it's not allowed) based on Ubuntu Linux and Wine. You still need a couple of files from a windows box (can be downloaded from the net) to get trouble free functionality.

Linux will NEVER spontaneously restart itself unless you specifically tell it to, so it makes a perfect platform for running MT4 with an EA.

The other advantage is that you can just get a relatively inexpensive laptop (Single core 1Ghz with 256mb ram is enough) and just run it at home yourself rather than having to use a VPS.

I am an Ubuntu fan i have setup MT$ in wine, but i found out i was unable to change some setting like fibonacci retracement parameter or change any indicator settings. I guess it ok for running ea but i miss to be able to fiddle parameters without having to recompile a mq4 everytime i change settings. Is it only me or is there a workaround? (especially the fibo/properties/levels).

What file contains the properties for the fibotool? Maybe i can just copy it from my windows side. I would very much prefer to be on linux right now.But i stock to xp because of it.

A simple way to get MT4 back up and running (Windows machines) is to use netplwiz (accessed via Windows key R) to setup automatic login, and then like fxautotrader said, have a shortcut in the Start folder to MT4.

Reason: