Effective 3 EMAs - page 4

trend strength

hi all,

i just added this indicator to illustrate the strength of the trend.

3 emas 14,34 and 50 and the indicator measure the position of the fastest compared with the other 2.

i am using it this way:

price closing above SMA20 (middle bollinger line) and trendstrength is green

go long exit when trend strength changes color.

opposite for going short.

nnjeim:
hi all,

i just added this indicator to illustrate the strength of the trend.

3 emas 14,34 and 50 and the indicator measure the position of the fastest compared with the other 2.

i am using it this way:

price closing above SMA20 (middle bollinger line) and trendstrength is green

go long exit when trend strength changes color.

opposite for going short.

Nnjeim, this looks really nice. I have 2 questions:

1--Does this indicator repaint? I hope you know what that means, I am asking if the indicator changes the color of a bar AFTER that bar has closed?

2--When would you re-enter the trade? I notice that often after bar changes color you could re-enter the trend.

Thank you for this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MACD just a one ema subtracted by another? Why would you use MACD then if you already have EMA's? All MACD does is display the difference and a SMA of the difference. Also TrendStrength is just a variation of MACD.

And see where your thread is going - you wanted a simple trading system with few indicators, but the post just gets new and new indicators added

indicator

yes this indicator is a variation of macd. macd after all is a comparaison between 3 emas. this indicator takes into calculation the values (14,34 and 50)

that i adopted. in adition to the macd this indicator illustrates the strength of the trend.

Green and >0 ----> bullish trend development

Red and >0 -----> bullish trend is getting weak and possible trend change

opposite is valid for bearish signals.

It is possible to enter a trade when bar shift again to green for instance after a red series of bars. ( opposite is valid for bearish signals)

the indicator does not repaint since it is simply averaging emas.

cheers,

Reason: