Backtesting/Optimization - page 23

BackTesting

How is this done? For example, I have an EA that I would like to back test a year and check results monthly and daily to see how it worked.... how would I do that?

For some reason, when I run the Strategy Tester, my computer crashes... I don't know why.... is that the only way??

Thanks

Jeff.

webjeff:
How is this done? For example, I have an EA that I would like to back test a year and check results monthly and daily to see how it worked.... how would I do that?

For some reason, when I run the Strategy Tester, my computer crashes... I don't know why.... is that the only way??

Thanks

Jeff.

I moved your post to this backtesting/optimization thread because it is fully described here with whole the particularities.

I think that backtesting and optimization are good tools to have. but only usefull to determine the long term stability of an EA.

For example. Running an Optimization on a time period any less than 6 months is just going to give you curve fitted results for that period. while this may be good for some EA's that require constant adjustment, for most EA's it will cause the performance to waiver going foward.

But if you optimize and backtest over a period longer than 6 months. the results tend to stabilize the EA's performance.

Of course this only holds true if the method behind the EA is solid. Good strategies = good EA's, risky strategies = flushing money down the toilet. Use the backtester to determine the risk, and dont use the EA with real money unless your backtester is winning at least 80% of its trades and has a low drawdown.

just my 2 pips.... I still think that the backtester and optimization can be improved and made more usefull.

A Good Source For Data

can anyone suggest a source to download eurusd, usdjpy 60 minute data,

bid or ask, in ascii format, that was tradeable data, for the last year?

for testing via simulation purposes strategies, of course.

Thank you,

Liz Merrill

Can not get 99% Backtest tick data

Hello,

I have been trying to follow the method to get 99% backtest tick data following these steps:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175901

In Step 7/8

7. open graph EURUSD , switch timeframe M1 and drag and drop script GainTicks2fxt.mq4 to graph.

8. after convert... look journal, *.fxt in dir files.

=> When I drag the script to the graph, what exactly do I need to do as once run in the logs there is just:

2007.03.18 16:03:15 Script GainTicks2fxt EURUSD,M1: removed

2007.03.18 16:03:13 Script GainTicks2fxt EURUSD,M1: loaded successfully

So nothing happens, am I doing something wrong here ?

I thought a file *.fxt will be copied to the dir files ?

Also the issue of quality of data was raised, is this true, if not where could I get good data ?

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers,

Sunwest

Anyone will be so kind to help me here in my request above.

Thanks

very basic question : backtesting

Dear Guru,

I am a newbie in this MT4 platform, I hv downloaded some EA and want to backtest them, but it seems that the result is way out of my prediction. I hv downloaded steps for backtesting (update data from alpari historical etc.) but, i still doubt the procedures because the outcome look weird. Could you give me step by step instruction to do the backtesting properly?

Thank you very much

Andy_r

Backtesting Problems...

I have two versions of an EA, both are the same but one is a compiled EX4 and the other is an MQ4. The EX4 backtests and forward tests fine, but the MQ4 gives me problems. When I try to backtest the MQ4, it only generates one trade in the backtest. I also have the same problem when forward testing. It generates one trade in forward testing, and then won't generate any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They changed website design and renamed some links.

I found it here now http://www.alpari-idc.ru/ru/quote-archives/

Hello, one question

Whwn i use an EA in the option for microaccount (0.01) in the strategy tester, there is no trades. when set for miniaccounts (0.1 lot), everything is OK. Why? I want test this EA with microlots. Thanks

Reason: