How not to miss the Open of a bar?

Hi everyone,

here's my question: is there a foolproof way to catch the Open of a bar (and only the Open of the bar)?

A few options that are not foolproof IMO:

1) if(Open[0] == Close[0] &&

Open[0] == High[0] &&

Open[0] == Low[0] )

{Action};

It is not foolproof because we can have a candle that is flat from beginning to end. So Action will not be executed only at the open of the candle.

2) if(CurTime() == Time[0])

{Action};

It is not foolproof because we have no guarantee that we will receive data at the beginning of a bar (for example because of a long execution of the previous start{} function, or because of thousands of possible IT problems).

3) I don't see how the condition (Volume[0] == 1) would be of help.

I must add something: I don't mind if I don't catch the Open "live", provided I can retrieve the data of the Open in a resonnable amount of time.

Let's take an extreme case as an example: the first data I receive for a bar is 10 seconds after the Open. I don't mind getting the Open data and taking {Action} on it, despite it will be after the Open happened.

Do you see a a solution?

How would you code it?

Thanks for your help!

pipeline

3) I don't see how the condition (Volume[0] == 1) would be of help.

Volume is the number of received ticks for the bar. So when Volume[0] == 1, you have only one tick value : the open one.

But the best way is something like this :

if(Time[0] > Last)

{

// you are at open, do what you want

Last = Time[0];

}

Hi Michel,

I should have read carefully ME's info about Volume, and your global/static Last variable is a good solution!

Thanks for your help

Michel:
Volume is the number of received ticks for the bar. So when Volume[0] == 1, you have only one tick value : the open one.

But the best way is something like this :

if(Time[0] > Last)

{

// you are at open, do what you want

Last = Time[0];

}
Reason: