Placement of Files

I have 2  W7 computers. I tried to copy all from one computer to the other. Everything works fine except for one thing.

Handling of files. On my base computer files I need for input and files written (log) are placed in MQL5\Files.

On my other computer an MT5 installation does not even create the "File" folder under MQL5. (And not the "Library" folder either.)

So I crated the Folders. Library works but not Files

When trying to open the input file that I have placed in MQL5\Files  it is not found.  When writing the log it ends up in some user related folder

with a long veird path.  ...AppData\Roaming\Metaquotes\Metatrader 4 Terminal\xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am running MT5

What is going on??

Just for information :

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Accounts base corrupted, file [...]\MetaTrader 5\config\accounts.dat deleted

newdigital, 2013.12.27 16:28

I think - it was about Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and so on - MT5 is not installed on the directory you want in case you are using those versions of Windows (in /Program Files for example) - the data will be stored in UserData of Windows. I am talking about same Windows (inside the Windows).

So, if you want to install MT5 in your custom directory - you should start using MT5 with '/portable' key (see image) :

I mean - if I instal MT5 and start it using Windows XP so I will find indicators, templates and so on in the installation directory (/Program Files/ ...). If I am using Windows 8 for example, so this installation directory will be empty, and indicators/EAs/data will be transfered by Windows to UserData.

To prevent it - start MT5 with /portable key - example - modify the icon for this key - right mouse click on MT5 icon on your desktop and insert /portable - for example : "C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\terminal.exe" /portable

But I am not doing it for my PC as I personally do not care where my indicators/templates etc are stored in Windows ... if I can find them - so i do not care ...

It was same problem discussed on russian part of the forum so I just translated by summary (about "what to do" for example) :

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Accounts base corrupted, file [...]\MetaTrader 5\config\accounts.dat deleted

newdigital, 2013.12.27 17:13

As I understand - when you instal Metatrader and making the first start of it - Windows will not transfer the data/indicators etc in case you are using /portable key. Because Windows is transferring it by first start (from metatrader directory to UserData of Windows).

But as I said - I am not using this /portable key ...

ingvar_e:

I have 2  W7 computers. I tried to copy all from one computer to the other. Everything works fine except for one thing.

Handling of files. On my base computer files I need for input and files written (log) are placed in MQL5\Files.

On my other computer an MT5 installation does not even create the "File" folder under MQL5. (And not the "Library" folder either.)

So I crated the Folders. Library works but not Files

When trying to open the input file that I have placed in MQL5\Files  it is not found.  When writing the log it ends up in some user related folder

with a long veird path.  ...AppData\Roaming\Metaquotes\Metatrader 4 Terminal\xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am running MT5

What is going on??

UAC is going on . . .

newdigital:

Just for information :

/portable did the trick

Thanks. 

Must read up on this UAC business

ingvar_e:

/portable did the trick

Thanks. 

Must read up on this UAC business

See here for more information

thanks @angevoyageur. it's very simple technics.
Reason: