Accounts base corrupted, file [...]\MetaTrader 5\config\accounts.dat deleted

I installed MT5 on an external HD, so when I switch pc during the day (home, office and so on) I can always have MT5 with last data and setting ready to be used.
I have just a (big) problem. Every time MT5 start on a different pc from the previous one, accounts setting are deleted (server list is saved, but user name and password are deleted).
The log show at the starting of the application: accounts base corrupted, file ...\MetaTrader 5\config\accounts.dat. Checking the directory I found that accounts.dat, when MT5 start from a different pc of the previous pc used, delete account.dat and create a new blank one.

Does anyone know if there is some workaround for this or it's just default behaviour and I have to install MT5 locally on all pc I use? (I already installed MT5 on every PC, always using the same path of the external drive, named on every PC as w:\).

puckkk:
I installed MT5 on an external HD, so when I switch pc during the day (home, office and so on) I can always have MT5 with last data and setting ready to be used.
I have just a (big) problem. Every time MT5 start on a different pc from the previous one, accounts setting are deleted (server list is saved, but user name and password are deleted).
The log show at the starting of the application: accounts base corrupted, file ...\MetaTrader 5\config\accounts.dat. Checking the directory I found that accounts.dat, when MT5 start from a different pc of the previous pc used, delete account.dat and create a new blank one.

Does anyone know if there is some workaround for this or it's just default behaviour and I have to install MT5 locally on all pc I use? (I already installed MT5 on every PC, always using the same path of the external drive, named on every PC as w:\).

Some information may well be saved in your profile and not the external HDD due to UAC.  Maybe there is a /portable switch you can use with MT5 ?

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/terminal/help/start_advanced/security

Account Database
The database of accounts (/Config/accounts.ini) of the terminal is bound to the user account in the operating system and to the computer hardware. If you try to authorize in the terminal under another account in the operating system or try to move the terminal data to another PC, whole base of accounts will be deleted as soon as the terminal is launched. In this connection, you must keep the accounts details (login and password) in a separate safe place.

Didn't notice that, sorry. So it's by default, as i Supposed :).

RaptorUK:
Some information may well be saved in your profile and not the external HDD due to UAC.  Maybe there is a /portable switch you can use with MT5 ?
Yep, I understand now, as I suppose. Sorry but I don't understand... what do you mean with a portable switch?

puckkk:
Yep, I understand now, as I suppose. Sorry but I don't understand... what do you mean with a portable switch?
Did you search ?  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/5443  and  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/10010
metatrader5 64bit can not start /portable state
metatrader5 64bit can not start /portable state
  • www.mql5.com
Metatrader5 64 bit does not start with /portable option.

Sorry raptor, i searched for "/portale switch", but on google and not here. I really didn't understand your "/portable switch" and I imagined something like an hardware stuff :D. Going to try now the /portable argument for starting mt5 :). Thx.

I think - it was about Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and so on - MT5 is not installed on the directory you want in case you are using those versions of Windows (in /Program Files for example) - the data will be stored in UserData of Windows. I am talking about same Windows (inside the Windows).

So, if you want to install MT5 in your custom directory - you should start using MT5 with '/portable' key (see image) :

Форум по трейдингу, автоматическим торговым системам и тестированию торговых стратегий

Корректная установка нескольких МТ5 на НЕсистемный диск

Renat, 2011.06.10 00:18

Если терминал запущен с ключом /portable, то редактор по F4 тоже запускается с ключом /portable. Точно такое же поведение и у редактора. Если он запущен с /portable, то переключение в терминал по F4 происходит с ключом /portable.

Это легко проверить по Таск менеджеру, включив показ командной строки в колонках:

I mean - if I instal MT5 and start it using Windows XP so I will find indicators, templates and so on in the installation directory (/Program Files/ ...). If I am using Windows 8 for example, so this installation directory will be empty, and indicators/EAs/data will be transfered by Windows to UserData.

To prevent it - start MT5 with /portable key - example - modify the icon for this key - right mouse click on MT5 icon on your desktop and insert /portable - for example : "C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\terminal.exe" /portable

But I am not doing it for my PC as I personally do not care where my indicators/templates etc are stored in Windows ... if I can find them - so i do not care ...

newdigital:

To prevent it - start MT5 with /portable key - example - modify the icon for this key - right mouse click on MT5 icon on your desktop and insert /portable - for example : "C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\terminal.exe" /portable

But I am not doing it for my PC as I personally do not care where my indicators/templates etc are stored in Windows ... if I can find them - so i do not care ...

Yep, thx, I'm trying now with /portable. See in a few hours if it will be ok, when I'll go back home changing pc :).

As I understand - when you instal Metatrader and making the first start of it - Windows will not transfer the data/indicators etc in case you are using /portable key. Because Windows is transferring it by first start (from metatrader directory to UserData of Windows).

But as I said - I am not using this /portable key ...

Reason: