MetaTrader - My Christmas wish!!!

Dear Santa

I wish I could have one installation of the MetaTrader  platform on my PC and VPS into folder c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker   and run multiple instances  for my multiple accounts like this:

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountOne 

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountTwo

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountThree

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountFour

where the accounts folder will act as data folders and all account settings, EAs, Scripts and indicators are stored.

I am tired of installing multiple instances duplicating same files to do something that only settings should have been changed...

My wish list has ended.. 

Tinashe Chipomho:

Dear Santa

I wish I could have one installation of the MetaTrader  platform on my PC and VPS into folder c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker   and run multiple instances  for my multiple accounts like this:

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountOne 

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountTwo

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountThree

c:\ForexTrading\MyBroker\terminal.exe -data c:\ForexTrading\Accounts\AccountFour

where the accounts folder will act as data folders and all account settings, EAs, Scripts and indicators are stored.

I am tired of installing multiple instances duplicating same files to do something that only settings should have been changed...

My wish list has ended.. 

You can easily accomplish that using Portable Mode and Windows NTFS Junction Points or NTFS Symbolic Links for both Folders or individual Files.

In my own case, I have separate hierarchical "instance" folders (for each broker/account) but common executables (stored in a master folder) and common code folders for the Experts/Indicators/etc (i.e. the MQL4 or MQL5 folder).

Not only does this save space, but for the common files or folders, change it only once and they all have the most recent version, build, etc.

Just do some research on it and create your own folder structure as by your requirements.

Fernando Carreiro:
You can easily accomplish that using Portable Mode and Windows NTFS Junction Points or NTFS Symbolic Links for both Folders or individual Files.

In my own case, I have separate hierarchical "instance" folders (for each broker/account) but common executables (stored in a master folder) and common code folders for the Experts/Indicators/etc (i.e. the MQL4 or MQL5 folder).

Not only does this save space, but for the common files or folders, change it only once and they all have the most recent version, build, etc.

Just do some research on it and create your own folder structure as by your requirements.
interesting I will have a look

Can you show an example? Do I need programming skills to do that?

Tobias Grosse: Can you show an example? Do I need programming skills to do that?
It is difficult to show an example because it depends on how you want your directory structure to be.

No programming skills needed, but basic Command Line usage is required to create the Hard Links / Junction Points.

Alternatively, use 3rd party GUI tools to do the same (e.g. Junction Link Magic, Link Shell Magic). Just search Google for others.

I still prefer it if the feature comes with the MT4/5 out of the box.
Reason: