Download MetaTrader 5

Script: Open 2nd Chart, take a screenshot, close the 2nd chart - SOLVED!

To add comments, please log in or register
tk9000
tk9000  

Hi,

I have only one single chart open. EURUSD M5.  When running the script below, it does open a Second chart (as planned)  - EURUSD  M15.  I would like the script to take a screenshot of the 2nd graph (M15), but instead it takes the snapshot of the 1st one (M5).

Also, it does not close that second (new) window.

What am I doing wrong?

int init()

{
  ChartOpen( "EURUSD", 15 );
  ChartScreenShot(1, "Screenshot of EURUSD M15.gif", 1280, 720);
  ChartClose(1);
      return;
}
whroeder1
whroeder1  
tk9000: What am I doing wrong?
  1. Perhaps you should read the manual.
    Opens a new chart with the specified symbol and period. The command is added to chart message queue and executed only after all previous commands have been processed -- ChartOpen - Chart Operations - MQL4 Reference
    The call is not synchronous, it takes time to open a chart, download the bars, and paint it. Where is your wait?

You would know this had you bothered to Check your return codes What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? - MQL4 forum and Common Errors in MQL4 Programs and How to Avoid Them - MQL4 Articles
  2. Perhaps you should read the manual.

chart_id

[in]  Chart ID. 0 means the current chart.  ChartScreenShot - Chart Operations - MQL4 Reference

zero may be the current chart, but no where does it say that a second chart has id one. Perhaps you should find the second id ChartNext - Chart Operations - MQL4 Reference

tk9000
tk9000  
whroeder1:
  1. Perhaps you should read the manual.The call is not synchronous, it takes time to open a chart, download the bars, and paint it. Where is your wait?

You would know this had you bothered to Check your return codes What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? - MQL4 forum and Common Errors in MQL4 Programs and How to Avoid Them - MQL4 Articles
  2. Perhaps you should read the manual.zero may be the current chart, but no where does it say that a second chart has id one. Perhaps you should find the second id ChartNext - Chart Operations - MQL4 Reference

Thanks Whroeder1!

1. I have added the Sleep function now after ChartOpen to allow for the bars to load.
2. Added the ChartNext code to enumerate the ChartIDs , they now show up in the Output fields ("Experts" tab on the bottom of MT4).

Question I still have - how do I capture (assign the ChartIDs to a variable, i.e. ChartID0 = (output from the ChartNext code, "ChartFirst"?) and ChartID1 = CurrChart(1) ?) Tried many ways, looks like going in circles... :-(

int init()

{
  Sleep (5000);

long currChart,prevChart=ChartFirst();
   int i=0,limit=100;
   Print("ChartFirst =",ChartSymbol(prevChart)," ID =",prevChart);
   while(i<limit)// We have certainly not more than 100 open charts
     {
      currChart=ChartNext(prevChart); // Get the new chart ID by using the previous chart ID
      if(currChart<0) break;          // Have reached the end of the chart list
      Print(i,ChartSymbol(currChart)," ID =",currChart);
      prevChart=currChart;// let's save the current chart ID for the ChartNext()
      i++;// Do not forget to increase the counter
     }

ChartScreenShot(0, "Screenshot of EURUSD M15.gif", 1280, 720); // instead of the "0", I need to pass a captured variable for ChartId (1)? But how to capture it first?
  ChartClose(0);    //same story here... 
      return;
}

Marco vd Heijden
Marco vd Heijden  

How about

long  ID = ChartID();

Or

int init()

{
  ChartScreenShot(ChartID(), "Screenshot of EURUSD M15.gif", 1280, 720);
  ChartClose(ChartID());
      return;
}

Or you can try like this

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//| Script program start function                                    |
void OnStart()
  {
//---
   for(int i=0;i<SymbolsTotal(1);i++)
     {
      ChartOpen(SymbolName(i,1),PERIOD_M15);
      ChartScreenShot(ChartID(),"Screenshot of "+SymbolName(i,1)+" M15.gif",1280,720);
      ChartClose(ChartID());
     }
  }
Keith Watford
Keith Watford  
tk9000:

Question I still have - how do I capture (assign the ChartIDs to a variable,

You didn't read the documentation for ChartOpen() did you?

If successful, it returns the opened chart ID. Otherwise returns 0. To get error details use the GetLastError() function.

tk9000
tk9000  

Thanks a lot, Marco, for suggestions. I got it to work, with a slight change though to the code. Posting for benefit of others. 

int init()

{
  Sleep (5000);
  ChartOpen( "GBPUSD", 15 );
  Sleep (5000);

long    Ch01    = ChartFirst();     // the ChartID() from the First (base) chart
long    ChId2   = ChartNext(Ch01);  // the ChartID() from the Second Chart
long    ChId3   = ChartNext(ChId1); // the ChartID() from the Third Chart

ChartScreenShot(ChId2, "Screenshot of EURUSD M15.gif", 1280, 720);
  ChartScreenShot(ChId3, "Screenshot of GBPUSD M15.gif", 1280, 720);
  ChartClose(ChId2);
  ChartClose(ChId3);
      return;

}    

To add comments, please log in or register