help me fix this indi - page 2

SDC:
Yes, how ever you want to call it, repainting, repositioning, updating, the changing values on the zero bar cause trade signals to be given during the formation of a bar that are not apparent when examining the indicator's pre drawn history on the chart.

Yes. This is why we are talking about signal on closed bar or on open bar. Signals on open bar are less reliable of course, but they come sooner.

You can call it as you wish of course, but you have to make a distinction with repainting of past candles which is not the same phenomenon.

angevoyageur:

Yes. This is why we are talking about signal on closed bar or on open bar. Signals on open bar are less reliable of course, but they come sooner.

You can call it as you wish of course, but you have to make a distinction with repainting of past candles which is not the same phenomenon.

Yes there should be a distinction, but I dont think repaint is so well defined, it is usually used in a loose way to describe any indicator that changes its value after it has drawn.

The worst are indicators calculated using the close price, median price, typical price. Their repositioning characteristics lead to signals getting triggered then indicator goes back to where it was before. I call them "hidden signals" when looking at indicator pre drawn history, it is very hard to predict where they might be at but you sure gonna find out when you try to trade with it lol

SDC:
Yes there should be a distinction, but I dont think repaint is so well defined, it is usually used in a loose way to describe any indicator that changes its value after it has drawn.

I know that, and this is why I posted. To make a clear distinction : a repainting indicator is when past candle value are modified, this is usually relatively easy to see in the code (not always). Such indicator are not reliable or even usable to trade effectively.

An indicator which modify the value of current candle (bar 0) is not repainting, the value is fixed once this bar becomes bar 0. You can trade such indicator without problem, at closed bar (>=1) or even at open bar (=0), the latter meaning that you can trade a false signal (it can disappear later). I don't know if there is a name for such indicator (maybe redrawing ?).

Indicator that don't draw or don't change value of bar 0 are rather rare.

angevoyageur:

I know that, and this is why I posted. To make a clear distinction : a repainting indicator is when past candle value are modified, this is usually relatively easy to see in the code. Such indicator are not reliable or even usable to trade effectively.

An indicator which modify the value of current candle (bar 0) is not repainting, the value is fixed once this bar becomes bar 0. You can trade such indicator without problem, even at closed bar (>=1) or at open bar (=0), the latter meaning that you can trade a false signal (it can disappear later). Don't know if there is a name for such indicator (maybe redrawing ?).

Indicator that don't draw or don't change value of bar 0 are rather rare.

Yes they are rare and there is a reason for that, and it is not for the benefit of the trader. The result of trading with indicators that reposition on the zero bar is clear in the OP's pictures they will swamp you with false signals.

Yes, usually trader would complain " why there is no activity on bar 0 ? I think it is broken ! "

LOL ... always like that ... most of the time.

I dont like to use close, typical, weighted or median prices in my indicators.

Reason: