How to backtest Silver (XAGUSD) in MT4? keeps saying no history data

Hi I am backtesting a EA on Silver vs USD.

So I downloaded the history data in the menu Tools -> history center and download XAGUSD M1 data.

Then i start strategy tester, i set the symbol to Silver and start the test,

However, MT4 always says : No History data Silver1.

What i did wrong here ?

Thank you for you help!
Tylor

cjtylor:

So I downloaded the history data in the menu Tools -> history center and download XAGUSD M1 data.

[...]

However, MT4 always says : No History data Silver1.

u downloaded for XAGUSD but not for silver

qjol:
u downloaded for XAGUSD but not for silver

isn't XAG silver ?

cjtylor:

isn't XAG silver ?

Generally yes, but if you downloaded XAGUSD, it's seems your broker provided also a symbol SILVER or even SILVER1. Weird.

angevoyageur:

or even SILVER1. Weird.

SILVER1 = SILVER1.hst = SILVER M1

qjol:
Ah ok, of course. Thank you.

I just make a test with build 614. And it seems data are now downloaded automatically when you run the Strategy Tester (as with MT5). I was not aware of that.

angevoyageur:
I just make a test with build 614. And it seems data are now downloaded automatically when you run the Strategy Tester (as with MT5). I was not aware of that.

really!?

so do we still need to open the offline hst file and put up the M1 charts, before the test ?

qjol:

The XAGUSD history data is from the "Tool -> history center", I believe its is from meta trader 4.

There is no such "Silver" history data to download.

Then the Symbol 'Silver1' is in strategy tester and i believe is provided by meta trader 4 as well.

Do you know how match them up?

cjtylor:

The XAGUSD history data is from the "Tool -> history center", I believe its is from meta trader 4.

There is no such "Silver" history data to download.

Then the Symbol 'Silver1' is in strategy tester and i believe is provided by meta trader 4 as well.

Do you know how match them up?

change the file named XAGUSD1.hst to silver1.hst

cjtylor:

really!?

so do we still need to open the offline hst file and put up the M1 charts, before the test ?

If don't know what you mean with offline hst file.

I add a new symbol to Market Watch (USDSGD), never used, never open a chart for this symbol.

I run the ST with some EA on this symbol and it works, data are downloaded automatically.

Reason: