Problem with strategy tester when the EA being tested uses a custom indicator. The indicator uses three time frames.

Hi,

I have a custom indicator which does calculations using three time frames and draws them on the chart. It basically draws the 3-sigma bands of t1, t2 and t3 time-frames (t1<t2<t3) on a chart of t1 time-frame. the symbol is not important.

I have now written a EA which uses this indicator ( and some other Inbuilt technical indicators) to generate alerts/signals for buy/sell etc. The problem is that when testing it on strategy tester, the Custom Indicator is not drawn nor the higher time-frame calculations done !!. The EA does not use iCustom to invoke the custom indicator. The indicator is loaded separately (as a part of the template).

Thank you.

kray42:

Hi,

I have a custom indicator which does calculations using three time frames and draws them on the chart. It basically draws the 3-sigma bands of t1, t2 and t3 time-frames (t1<t2<t3) on a chart of t1 time-frame. the symbol is not important.

I have now written a EA which uses this indicator ( and some other Inbuilt technical indicators) to generate alerts/signals for buy/sell etc. The problem is that when testing it on strategy tester, the Custom Indicator is not drawn nor the higher time-frame calculations done !!. The EA does not use iCustom to invoke the custom indicator. The indicator is loaded separately (as a part of the template).

Thank you.

The Strategy tester is for Testing Strategies, Indicators added to the Strategy Tester chart may not work correctly . . . many will work but some will not. If you are using other timeframes for the date range you are testing have you checked that you have the data for those other timeframes ? open a chart for the symbol in question and check each timeframe for the date range you are trying to test . . . Alerts are not made form the Strategy tester, you get the equivalent of a Print() to the Journal instead.