Lose Long and Short?

Hey there venerable MQ4 programmers.

A quick question.  Not going to include code or anything because its not really necessary.

I was messing around with an EA yesterday and decided to try something.  You can do it yourself pretty easy.

S/L is X and T/P same X;  So maybe 50 and 50 or 100 and 100, or 25, 25 depending on the time frame.

You use whatever you want to get signals for Long or Short, then backtest it.

In my case this is what happened.  Backtested, got a win rate of about 30%.  So I changed it so that my bullish signals would

initiate a SHORT order instead.  And my win rate stayed the same.

Now how is this possble?  With a win rate of 30% going long on long signals, that means the TP is being hit 3 times out of 10, and the stop loss is being hit the other 7.

There is no other choice, it hits TP or SL.  There is no trailing stops, or dynamiic stops involved.

So when that same long trigger initiates a SHORT order, how can the win rate still remain around 30%?  I am befuddled.

Oh and yes I did make sure using visual mode that the orders were correct, short and long.

Any ideas? how can I trust the tester if this is what it spits out? Isn't this result a mathematical impossiblity?

Very curious about this, any insight would be welcome.

Mick

What is the spread?

MicksMoney:

Hey there venerable MQ4 programmers.

Any ideas? how can I trust the tester if this is what it spits out? Isn't this result a mathematical impossiblity?

Mick

How many trades ? 10,000 ? 20,000 ?  if your number of trades is high and your SL &TP account for the Spread then you should be seeing a Win Rate of 50% even if your Strategy is totally useless.

MicksMoney:

Mick

You can read here a topic about that. Maybe there is also some on mql4 forum, but this is not depending of the programming language anyway.
Reason: