Discussion of article "Technical Indicators and Digital Filters"

New article Technical Indicators and Digital Filters has been published:

For several years, Code Base has accumulated a large number of indicators. Many of them are copies of one another with only slight modifications. After many hours of visual comparison of indicators on the chart, we could not help but ask: "Is it possible to find more objective and efficient way of comparison?" It is possible, indeed. We should admit that an indicator is a digital filter. Let's turn to Wikipedia.

Filter (chemistry), a device (usually a membrane or layer) that is designed to physically block certain objects or substances while letting others through.

Do you agree that indicators allow blocking some "unnecessary" objects and focus on the critical ones? Now let's see what a digital filter is.

Индикаторы как цифровые фильтры

In electronics, computer science and mathematics, a digital filter is a system that performs mathematical operations on a sampled, discrete-time signal to reduce or enhance certain aspects of that signal.

In other words, a digital filter is a filter processing discrete signals. The prices we see in the terminal can be treated as discrete signals, as their values are recorded not continuously but over a certain period of time. For example, the price value is recorded each hour on H1 chart, while it is done once per 5 minutes on M5. Many indicators can be treated as linear filters. This is exactly the type of indicators that are discussed in the present article. 

Now, when we found out that we are dealing with digital filters, let's examine the theory in order to define what parameters should be compared.

Author: GT788

Very scientific, thanks for sharing. 

Outstanding, Thank you for sharing... :-)

I can't make it work. I have the spectrumAnalyzer open, but can't attach the SMA(16) to the window as implied.

Any help?

thank you. 

smuller :

I can't make it work. I have the spectrumAnalyzer open, but can't attach the SMA(16) to the window as implied.

Any help?

thank you. 

Add SMA, then run spectrumAnalyzer
Reason: