Missing passes in optimization

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a newbie question regarding the backtesting optimization feature. Whenever I start testing a given EA, MetaTrader calculates the number of passes (combination of parameters) and the estimated time to complete the task. But the final process always gives a smaller number of passes than calculated. I have disabled the "Skip useless ticks" checkbox, as well as selected an account deposit so as it can't reach the margin call.

Where are the remaining passes? I intend to make an inner join of several weeks, calculating the total profit for each combination. But I get almost no matches because of the missing rows.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

takamura:
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a newbie question regarding the backtesting optimization feature. Whenever I start testing a given EA, MetaTrader calculates the number of passes (combination of parameters) and the estimated time to complete the task. But the final process always gives a smaller number of passes than calculated. I have disabled the "Skip useless ticks" checkbox, as well as selected an account deposit so as it can't reach the margin call.

Where are the remaining passes? I intend to make an inner join of several weeks, calculating the total profit for each combination. But I get almost no matches because of the missing rows.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

If you check out the journal, it will tell you that so many passes were made and so many were rejected as insignificant.

There is no "Skip useless ticks" checkbox. There is a "Skip useless results" and unchecking it will show all passes performed (including loosing ones)

There is no setting that prevents a margin call ("stop out")

If you're using the generic options passes (10xxxx) is an estimate. If it can keep improving results it keeps going (I've had 14000+ passes). If most of the results are failure it can stop earlier.

If the number of passes in parentheses is a reasonable number, disable generic and it will do them all.

Thank you very much. Unchecking that option gives all the passes, neatly ordered according to the parameters step.