About migration of indicators for another commercial use

Nice to meet you.
I am a software engineer.
I resigned recently, and I have no job now.
Fortunately I found MQL. It's quite cool tool and very useful programming language.(But I'm not familiar with it)
Now I'm focusing on some other trade project for commercial use.
It will use indicator to show some indicator line on the chart.
And It uses a different program language(which I'm familiar with).

I found TA-lib which provided 200 indicator functions too.But I have to say some function is not so easy to read and not as compact as yours.

I want to reference the sources of indicators implemented by mql4.(just indicator functions provided by MetaQutes)
I worry about the infringement to your copyright.

So I want to confirm whether I can be allowed to do that.

I promise I will never copy any indicator source.
What I do is just to modify and migrate the program to another language.
If you allow me to do that, I will appreciate that a lot.

Thank you.

Mark0917:

Nice to meet you.
I am a software engineer.
I resigned recently, and I have no job now.
Fortunately I found MQL. It's quite cool tool and very useful programming language.(But I'm not familiar with it)

You should contact MetaQuotes, this is a User Forum with posts from Users. https://www.metaquotes.net/en/company/contacts

I sent the mail. But the response asked me to login here and ask.

I have wondered about that too, there is nothing in the codebase pages to suggest if the code there should be considered public domain or not. I think most people assume it is but it should really be clarified.

SDC:

I have wondered about that too, there is nothing in the codebase pages to suggest if the code there should be considered public domain or not. I think most people assume it is but it should really be clarified.

You will get agreement from me . . . but thats about it, other Moderators and Admin see no need to change what is written in the rules so that it agrees with what they want to enforce on this Forum.

SDC:

RaptorUK:
You will get agreement from me . . . but thats about it, other Moderators and Admin see no need to change what is written in the rules so that it agrees with what they want to enforce on this Forum.

Probably either public domain software or noncopylefted free software, unless otherwise noted by poster or MetaQuotes. See also Software Categories on Wikipedia.

Well according to those links it is not public domain. Public domain is described as uncopyrighted source code. All the MQ sourcecode in the codebase has MQ copyright notice on it, and so does alot of the code submitted by others.

It also doesnt have any kind of copyleft licence giving the user permission to copy it.

If you are a commercial developer it would probably be good practice to use other peoples source code only as a reference rather than as a source to copy.

Mark0917:
I promise I will never copy any indicator source.
What I do is just to modify and migrate the program to another language.
If you allow me to do that, I will appreciate that a lot.

Of course, you can use MQL4 and MQL5 examples from the free library. You even can convert their algorithms to other programming languages. However, as a matter of courtesy, it would be nice of you to insert the links to the primary materials into your source code.

MetaQuotes Software Corp. allows using all Code Base examples. However, re-publishing these codes outside of MQL4.com and MQL5.com is forbidden.

SDC:

Well according to those links it is not public domain. Public domain is described as uncopyrighted source code. All the MQ sourcecode in the codebase has MQ copyright notice on it, and so does alot of the code submitted by others.

It also doesnt have any kind of copyleft licence giving the user permission to copy it.

If you are a commercial developer it would probably be good practice to use other peoples source code only as a reference rather than as a source to copy.

Thank you for your concerns.

I think so too.

I sent a mail to confirm again.

The reply told me to refer to term of use(MQL5, Not MQL4)

I think it implied that it is impossible to be allowed to migrate the indicator library to another programming language.

So I gave up.

Anyway, thank you all for concerns.

Reason: