Tester - setting Use date does not use the date I downloaded

Hi

I have downloaded tick data using Birt's EAreview php scripts and converted the csv to fxt and hst files. I have checked the csv and know i have data for 1/5/13 - 1/8/13.

So i plug these dates into my test in Use date fields.

Sometimes the tester will run the backtest, but other times it won't unless I move the From date forward a few days, or sometimes a month forward. Then if i change the EA to run over the same data, sometimes it appears to do nothing. I get nothing in the log files, and the green completion bar just stops.

Any ideas why this is?

thanks

simoncs:

Hi

I have downloaded tick data using Birt's EAreview php scripts and converted the csv to fxt and hst files. I have checked the csv and know i have data for 1/5/13 - 1/8/13.

So i plug these dates into my test in Use date fields.

Sometimes the tester will run the backtest, but other times it won't unless I move the From date forward a few days, or sometimes a month forward. Then if i change the EA to run over the same data, sometimes it appears to do nothing. I get nothing in the log files, and the green completion bar just stops.

Any ideas why this is?

Have you opened a M1 chart for the symbol in question for the following date range ? 1/5/13 - 1/8/13. do you have data on the M1 chart that covers this entire range ? how are you preventing your Broker from overwriting your imported hst files ?

RaptorUK:
Have you opened a M1 chart for the symbol in question for the following date range ? 1/5/13 - 1/8/13. do you have data on the M1 chart that covers this entire range ? how are you preventing your Broker from overwriting your imported hst files ?

I use the Tick Data Suite to start the MT4 session. Essentially the program creates it's own exe for MT4. It was my understanding that by using this exe it stops the files from being overwritten.

simoncs:

I use the Tick Data Suite to start the MT4 session. Essentially the program creates it's own exe for MT4. It was my understanding that by using this exe it stops the files from being overwritten.
I don't know if you are right or wrong, I suspect wrong . . . did you open a M1 chart and check if you have the required data ?

simoncs:

TDS doesn't create an exe for MT4.

angevoyageur:
TDS doesn't create an exe for MT4.

it creates a shortcut that opens an MT4 session.

@RaptorUK - I have looked at the chart - but i didn't think that would be relative? Does the chart display the data from the fxt and hst files I have created - or from the History centre via the broker?

I can contact Birt, but my understanding is that once I create the fxt/hst files they are then locked and don't get overwritten.

The Tick Data Suite features:

• Allows using tick data in MetaTrader 4 backtesting.
  • Allows running expert advisor optimizations using tick data.
  • Allows backtesting with real, variable spread.
  • Lifts the 2GB size limitation that MetaTrader 4 has for its FXT data files, effectively allowing you to backtest the whole data range in a single go.
  • Allows starting multiple MetaTrader 4 copies from the same folder, letting you run multiple backtests or optimizations at the same time
  • Prevents overwriting existing FXT data files using the every tick model, so it saves a lot of time even when repeatedly backtesting the same time period with history center data.
  • Automatically detects if your data files are using variable spread or not.
I just wasn't sure if the issue I am seeing is related to using TDS or whether it is a known problem with the Tester?

simoncs:

@RaptorUK - I have looked at the chart - but i didn't think that would be relative? Does the chart display the data from the fxt and hst files I have created - or from the History centre via the broker?

I can contact Birt, but my understanding is that once I create the fxt/hst files they are then locked and don't get overwritten.

The chart uses the data stored in the hst files, the Strategy Tester does the same . . . it gets it's ticks from the fxt file but the bars come from the hst.

simoncs:

The Tick Data Suite features:

• Allows using tick data in MetaTrader 4 backtesting.
  • Allows running expert advisor optimizations using tick data.
  • Allows backtesting with real, variable spread.
  • Lifts the 2GB size limitation that MetaTrader 4 has for its FXT data files, effectively allowing you to backtest the whole data range in a single go.
  • Allows starting multiple MetaTrader 4 copies from the same folder, letting you run multiple backtests or optimizations at the same time
  • Prevents overwriting existing FXT data files using the every tick model, so it saves a lot of time even when repeatedly backtesting the same time period with history center data.
  • Automatically detects if your data files are using variable spread or not.
I just wasn't sure if the issue I am seeing is related to using TDS or whether it is a known problem with the Tester?

This is obviously an issue with your use of TDS. TDS is a paid software, ask support to Birt.

angevoyageur:
This is obviously an issue with your use of TDS. TDS is a paid software, ask support to Birt.

I suspect it is user ignorance and nothing to do with the TDS.

RaptorUK:
I suspect it is user ignorance and nothing to do with the TDS.

I think so too, this is why I wrote "your use of TDS". Still I find it's not to us to assure education for commercial product. Of course if you don't care about that, no problem for me.

angevoyageur:
I think so too, this is why I wrote "your use of TDS". Still I find it's not to us to assure education for commercial product. Of course if you don't care about that, no problem for me.

Sure no problem - I will check with Birt. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a known tester issue.
Reason: