On how many timeframes/pairs must an EA show good results to be considered any good?

Would EA coders please share their experience for how many pairs and/or timeframes do you need to see sound backtest results before you consider the EA worth demo/live testing? I'm sure there are many people who optimize their EAs on e.g. eur/usd M1 chart and are happy to go live. I'm generally not happy with an EA until I see reasonable results on at least 2 different currency pairs for example eur/usd and aud/usd on the same set of parameters and timeframe because I believe there's then greater chance that the EA logic isn't overly curve-fitted. 

What's your experience? I don't want to talk about how much historical data you test an EA on but more about on how many timeframes/pairs you want to see good test results. Obviously, the more the better but what's your minimum?

fxjozef:

Would EA coders please share their experience for how many pairs and/or timeframes do you need to see sound backtest results before you consider the EA worth demo/live testing? I'm sure there are many people who optimize their EAs on e.g. eur/usd M1 chart and are happy to go live. I'm generally not happy with an EA until I see reasonable results on at least 2 different currency pairs for example eur/usd and aud/usd on the same set of parameters and timeframe because I believe there's then greater chance that the EA logic isn't overly curve-fitted. 

What's your experience? I don't want to talk about how much historical data you test an EA on but more about on how many timeframes/pairs you want to see good test results. Obviously, the more the better but what's your minimum?

As many as possible . . .  if I had consistent results on 3 pairs I would test on more, if I had consistent results on 6 I would test on more,  I have tick data on 15 pairs,  that would be a good place to stop if I had consistent results on all 15 pairs.

I've written a few EAs,  some have had very good results on some pairs for some date ranges,  but the story soon changes when a non-correlated pair is used.  Even a coin toss EA can have a good run,  it can also be made to have a 95% win rate.   

RaptorUK:

As many as possible . . .  if I had consistent results on 3 pairs I would test on more, if I had consistent results on 6 I would test on more,  I have tick data on 15 pairs,  that would be a good place to stop if I had consistent results on all 15 pairs.

I've written a few EAs,  some have had very good results on some pairs for some date ranges,  but the story soon changes when a non-correlated pair is used.  Even a coin toss EA can have a good run,  it can also be made to have a 95% win rate.   

As I said above, the more pairs the EA is successful on the better but the thing is, where's your threshold for going live? In other words, on minimum how many non-correlated pairs/timeframes you want to see good and consistent test results before you consider the EA good enough for demo/live testing? If your EA looks good on 2 or 3 major pairs, is it good enough for you to put money on it?

fxjozef:

As I said above, the more pairs the EA is successful on the better but the thing is, where's your threshold for going live? In other words, on minimum how many non-correlated pairs/timeframes you want to see good and consistent test results before you consider the EA good enough for demo/live testing? If your EA looks good on 2 or 3 major pairs, is it good enough for you to put money on it?
It's a very good question,  unfortunately it's not one I have had to seriously consider yet, so i can't give you my considered opinion borne out of direct experience, but . . .   I think it would depend on the consistency of results across pairs,  if you had similar performance across all the pairs you tried then this would give more confidence in going live after testing with fewer pairs,  if there were significant variation but still good performance I would probably want to test across more pairs to give me more confidence.  I know it's not a concrete answer and more of a "suck it and see" answer but it's probably the best I can do.  

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense: if there's consistency of results across pairs, fewer pairs may be sufficient than when positive results are more random. I tend to focus my testing on 8 major pairs since in theory they should behave more technically just because more people or EAs trade them. Also spreads are narrower. When I can get good consistent results across 3-4 majors (e.g. eur/usd, gbp/usd, usd/jpy, aud/usd) it's time for demo. In my example are all usd pairs but they are not strongly correlated in their moves (unlike for example eur/usd and usd/chf).

I'd appreciate if anyone else would share their opinion/experience.

Reason: