How the profit in Depoist Currency is calculated (searched but not found)

Hi,

I cannot figure out how the profit is calculated in MT4.

I know that usually you look at the profit in terms of Pips, but at the end of the day I need to know how many Euros I’ve got in the real world.

Is there anyone who can help me understand how the Profit in terms of Deposit Currency is calculated?

The deposit is in Euro.

I show you the following two example, with the screenshot of how MT4 Profit appears (it is also attached as file for better view).

Screenshot

Other information you need I guess are the exchange values with Euro.

More or less, around the time the trade had been opened, the rates were about:   EURGBP 0.83334, EURCHF 1.224287, EURHKD 10.326 ,  EURJPY 118.592.

Currently are: EURGBP 0.86487,  EURCHF 1.23208,    EURHKD 10.4066,  EURJPY 125,512.

Any clue on how the profit gets out from these numbers?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Stefano

the profit is calculated by the value @ order close time, not by order open time

For the Profit you need both, the value at open time and the value at close time.

Of course, the number I shown, are not referring to closed trades but to open  trades. The profit is the current profit of the open positions.

I provided all the values at the open time and all the values at the current time, so I think they should be enough to calculate the profit at the current time.

Nevertheless, I cannot figure out what the calculation are (to get the profit converted to the Deposit Currency), and whatever I try gives numbers different from the Profit shown buy MT4 (in the picture).

This is why I asked help to the forum.

Thank you very much. 

Use this and you would have found this, posted 8 hours ago: Get total pips of an open trade - MQL4 forum

WHRoeder:
Use this and you would have found this, posted 8 hours ago: Get total pips of an open trade - MQL4 forum

Thanks WHRoeder.

I actually search everywere before asking help, but I couldnt (and still) find an answer. I know that you can use the MarketInfo(Sym ,MODE_TICKVALUE) function (and this is the answer everywere in the forum), but I'm not looking for the function to use.

I need to understand which is the calcuation behind the function.

Basically this what you find in documentation:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1453

Trade Result

Buying 1 lot of EURUSD at 1.2500 (opened a trade): + 100 000 euros - 125 000 US dollars.
Selling 1 lot of EURUSD at 1.2600 (close the trade): - 100 000 euros + 126 000 US dollars.
Resulting profit of the operation: 0 EURO + $ 1000.

Conclusion: Profit resulting from the operation on EURUSD is expressed in US dollars, i.e., in the second currency of the currency pair. Try to calculate the results of another trade by yourself: 1 lot of GBPCHF was bought at 2.30 and closed at 2.40. What profit will be obtained as a result and n what currency? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I need is the answer to that question. I tried my guess, but it doesent give out the numberas I shown in the example of my first post.

I know it is my fault, I'm sorry for my dumbness.

Let's try with my case, for GBPCHF. My deposit is in Euro.

In Jan-17 I entered the cross GBPCHF, when the exchange rate EURGBP was 0.83334 and GBPCHF was 1.492.

Buying CHF: + 1243.34  CHF and - 1000 EUR     ==> Buying GBP with CHF:   - 1243.34 CHF   +833.33 (1243.34/1.492)

So I own 833.33 GBP. 

Now I have to calculate the current profit (expressed in EUR) using the current rates. 

Now GBPCHF rate is 1.42409 and EURCHF rate is 1.23208 

-  833.33 GBP    + 1186.74 CHF  (833.33 * 1.42409)  so the profit in CHF is -56.59.

Now I have to convert back to EUR ==> -45.93  (-56.59/1.23208)

So the profit should be -45 EUR, while MT4 shows that the profit is -73 EUR.

Where is my mistake?

Could you help?

Thanks. 

spronti:

What I need is the answer to that question. I tried my guess, but it doesent give out the numberas I shown in the example of my first post.

I know it is my fault, I'm sorry for my dumbness.

Let's try with my case, for GBPCHF. My deposit is in Euro.

In Jan-17 I entered the cross GBPCHF, when the exchange rate EURGBP was 0.83334 and GBPCHF was 1.492.

Buying GBP: + 833.34 GBP and - 1000 EUR     ==> Buying CHF with GBP:   - 833.34 GBP  +1243.34 CHF    (833.34*1.492)

So I own 1243.34 CHF. 

Now I have to calculate the current profit (expressed in EUR) using the current rates. 

Now GBPCHF rate is 1.42409 and EURGBP rate is 0.86487 

- 1243.34 CHF  + 873.07GBP  (1243.34 / 1.42409)  so the profit in GBP is 39.73.

Now I have to convert back to EUR ==> 45.94  (39.73/0.86487)

So the profit should be be 45 EUR, while MT4 shows that the profit is -73 EUR.

Where is my mistake?

You haven't specified what your original trade was,  how many lots Buy or Sell ?   you haven't specified which of your rates used are Bid and which are Ask . . .  can you please specify.  

RaptorUK:
You haven't specified what your original trade was,  how many lots Buy or Sell ?   you haven't specified which of your rates used are Bid and which are Ask . . .  can you please specify.  

Was a Buy, 0.01 lots, reported rates Ask when buying and Bid when selling... But, sorry Raptor, I've updated my example since it was wrong, pleas REFRESH and READ AGAIN before anythinelse. I apologize.

Dear bro, you lost about 679pip based on prices in your screenshot. Based on micro-lot (0.01) you opened, any pip value is 10 cent. Therefore, -679pip*0.1$=-68$ is your net PNL, I guess there are some swap or other fees like spread which makes the final PNL to -73$ which you see. Hope helpful.

Edit: Sorry I forgot mentioning that in GBPCHF the Base currency is GBP but the Profit currency is CHF, it means the PNL is based on the CHF! 

Hamidreza Boveiri #:
Dear bro, you lost about 679pip based on prices in your screenshot. Based on micro-lot (0.01) you opened, any pip value is 10 cent. Therefore, -679pip*0.1$=-68$ is your net PNL, I guess there are some swap or other fees like spread which makes the final PNL to -73$ which you see. Hope helpful.

you responded to a comment that is 11 years old hahahahahaha

Reason: