Self Taught MQL4 people who can now code with confidence.

The MQL4 Book etc is excellent and also the forum is a fantastic resource, but to get additional examples etc would be useful too.   I do 90% guessing at the moment and limited imagination when it comes to using the code in different ways.

I intend on continuing to read through the MQL4 website material and Clearly Repetition from continuing to try and develope things along with reading (effort) is primary to learning. 

Can you suggest some books, websites, educators  etc  ? Things that  helped you move forward and was a valuable resource ?

Thanks for your contributions

barnacle7:

The MQL4 Book etc is excellent and also the forum is a fantastic resource, but to get additional examples etc would be useful too.   I do 90% guessing at the moment and limited imagination when it comes to using the code in different ways.

I intend on continuing to read through the MQL4 website material and Clearly Repetition from continuing to try and develope things along with reading (effort) is primary to learning. 

Can you suggest some books, websites, educators  etc  ? Things that  helped you move forward and was a valuable resource ?

Thanks for your contributions

There are a lot of strategies. Begin as practise with a Simple One and try to write for it an EA...

It doesn't have to be a profitable one just a simple one and if you get stucked on strange behavior of your written EA

in Strategy tester or on your (demo) account 

don't know where to find the right solution  then show your efforts and ask some help

That way you learn yourself the best how to write your EA's 

barnacle7:

Logical thought and reasoning and good problem solving skills   . . . .  if you don't have them and can't develop them then even if you can recite the mql4 function list and syntax backwards in your sleep you coded solution will always be bad.

Most people jump straight into coding when they have something they need to write,  be it EA, Indicator or Script . . . .  instead STOP,  think,  write some thoughts or notes,  it will help the thought process,  draw a flowchart,  yes,  I'm serious.  Once you have a plan consider how it can fail,  what can go wrong,  how you might need to make enhancements in the future . . . .  then finally you can start thinking about actually writing some code. 

Thanks for your replies, 

Yes , I use a Demo account at the moment and hope to try out the strategy tester soon .

Raptoruk,the idea of a plan is a good idea, The sample EA is my study template  at the moment looking at the different blocks of code . 

Does anyone currently subscribe to forex-TSD and use it as a source for education or otherwise? There isn't much talk except for some on FPA which is back in 2011 suggesting the site is going downhill and communication issues with english speakers.  Unfortunately to sign up for a free trial they want credit card details. So also would like to know if they can be trusted to cancel a subscription with out any hassles ?

I have found some books on Amazon for EA Programming for MT4 , Has anyone used/ bought and found them useful for additional explanation ?   or does  MQL4 offer the same if not more then any of the books.

Reason: