Is it possible to write and test code without having a connection to a broker?

I want to learn to program an EA and realize it will take work and study. I was wondering, can most of the writing and testing of an EA be done without a connection to a broker? Right now I have a metatrader demo account that I have been unsuccessful in getting to run any EA's on and realize that if I knew how to code I could eventually be able to learn what is wrong after reading this forum and others after my education starts. I have installed some free indicators that run fine but the EA's I have installed (with happy faces showing) do not generate trades.

Is there a way of writing code to test it's logic without being connected to a brokers server? I realize I need to get my feet wet to really benefit from this forum and will start studying pronto.

OverMyHead:

I want to learn to program an EA and realize it will take work and study. I was wondering, can most of the writing and testing of an EA be done without a connection to a broker? Right now I have a metatrader demo account that I have been unsuccessful in getting to run any EA's on and realize that if I knew how to code I could eventually be able to learn what is wrong after reading this forum and others after my education starts. I have installed some free indicators that run fine but the EA's I have installed (with happy faces showing) do not generate trades.

Is there a way of writing code to test it's logic without being connected to a brokers server? I realize I need to get my feet wet to really benefit from this forum and will start studying pronto.

To correctly test an EA yo will need a connection to a Broker at some point otherwise you symbols.sel file will be wrong and you will potentially be basing your trades on wrong info.  You should learn how to use the Strategy tester first though . . .

RaptorUK:
To correctly test an EA yo will need a connection to a Broker at some point otherwise you symbols.sel file will be wrong and you will potentially be basing your trades on wrong info.  You should learn how to use the Strategy tester first though . . .

Thanks for your reply and I will take your suggestions.

Hi

I just start to learn how to creat EA but i feel confused and dosen't have  the start point i have many indicatores and can't found my succesfully way to using them any suggestions

eng_nour:

Hi

I just start to learn how to creat EA but i feel confused and dosen't have  the start point i have many indicatores and can't found my succesfully way to using them any suggestions

1.  Don't hijack a thread that is not connected with your issue

2.  Read the Book, learn,  read the Documentation, learn, practice,  repeat . . . 

3. Learn how to use the Strategy Tester. 

Reason: