Some functions is disable when running Strategy Tester?

Hi everyone,

I just start working with mql4 1 week now and I found some issues when running Strategy Tester (the window when we press Ctrl - R).

Normally with Alert function, a small window will appear when running this command. But when I running Tester, nothing appear.

I think other functions disable when running tester are File functions (FileOpen, FileWrite...), because in my EA, I try to write data to file, but after running tester, nothing change with my file.

Anyone please help to confirm this and if it's true, please show me some way to enable it, especially how to write data to file. I need to write data to file because I need to collect all database about strategy, I found Report function in Tester is not enough.

Thank you so much!

The strategy tester have allot of limitations, just like mt4 itself have allot of limitations. You'll want to get familiar with the limitations. It'll save you from pulling your hair out and crying bugs. Here's a common article for starter.

Hi Ubzen,

Thanks for your help!

How about File Functions in Strategy Tester, I don't know why running EA through Tester doesn't make any change to file.

Thanks,

focuson: How about File Functions in Strategy Tester...
Files should work, although allot of file function calls can make a test slower. Make sure to locate the files in the correct location \tester\files folder.

ubzen:
Files should work, although allot of file function calls can make a test slower. Make sure to locate the files in the correct location \tester\files folder.

Yes, it's slower, but still okay. Thank you!

focuson:
Normally with Alert function, a small window will appear when running this command. But when I running Tester, nothing appear.
I think other functions disable when running tester are File functions (FileOpen, FileWrite...), because in my EA, I try to write data to file, but after running tester, nothing change with my file.
  1. Tester limitations
  2. In Visual mode Alerts are logged in the Journal tab like Print. In Optimization mode, ignored.
  3. File Function work just fine. They go to <terminal>\tester\files, not >terminal>\experts\files
Reason: