testing EA

It is actually about testing any set of trading parameters, not only for EAs.

So, I have an EA and a set of settings for currencies of my choice. Now I checked it for robustness by changing all variables up and down. The results loosely remind the Bell curve.

When I am changing variables +/- 5% I am getting OK results. When I am changing variables +/- 10% I am getting worse, but still mostly positive results. When I am changing variables +/- 20% the system mostly loosing.

An example would be if I have a 'default' MA 100, I was changing it to 5% - 95 and 105, 10% - 90 and 110, and 20% - 80 and 120.

Are the results of my EA good or bad? What's your numbers?

sashaz:

Are the results of my EA good or bad? What's your numbers?

Perhaps if you show the results people may want to comment. For example, start with Average loss, average win and win rate.

For my +/- tests I did not look at expectancy and its components, I was looking for profit/loss just to get a feel for what to expect if conditions change. I have all the numbers for my main settings, but here I am more interested in how wide the parameters usually deviate before a good system looses its attractiveness. I am assuming that everyone who is using any EA or any system, even manual if it has defined rules, has to answer that question.

So, if I rephrase my question: if a system with its variables changed +/- 5% is still doing OK, with its variables changed +/- 10% is barely passable, and with the parameters changed at +/- 20% does not work, is it a good system? Would like to compare it against someone's system which is performing well (at least for a year).

Is it better?