charles 2.1.8 - page 4

No hedging on MT5?  What is it specifically that is not possible to do and is there a reason we know of as to why?   Surely you can be long with one strategy and short on another, both on the same instrument??  Or be hedged on the same strategy even if it means doing so with two separate bots?

ppcassidy:

I am not implying that you have. I am not in a position to argue the validity (or lack thereof) of hedging strategies. I was merely asking if that was what you were implying :-) 

Logically speaking . . . why hedge ?  if you don't know where price is going you can't make money . . . 

Trevhib:

No hedging on MT5?  What is it specifically that is not possible to do and is there a reason we know of as to why?   Surely you can be long with one strategy and short on another, both on the same instrument??  Or be hedged on the same strategy even if it means doing so with two separate bots?

No,  you can't hedge with MT5,  it is position based, open 4 Orders from any EA or combinations of EAs in a single terminal on the same symbol and you end up with a single position . . .  you can have 2 different Terminals and go long with one and short with the other.

Or hedging based on a correlation (or negative correlation) of two different pairs...where there is a somewhat reliable relationship between two different pairs over a give time period, with profits to be made from opposite positions taking advantage of temperary displacement of the relationship. I'm theorizing in a very nebulous way obiously....but basically that is a form of hedging, no? 

But you're saying no to the multiple positions on the one pair. Ok!

Thanks,

Paul 

ppcassidy:

Or hedging based on a correlation (or negative correlation) of two different pairs...where there is a somewhat reliable relationship between two different pairs over a give time period, with profits to be made from opposite positions taking advantage of temperary displacement of the relationship. I'm theorizing in a very nebulous way obiously....but basically that is a form of hedging, no? 

Yes,  I guess it is a form of hedging and yes it would be allowed in MT5 and MT4 USA Brokers.  I assume,  maybe incorrectly,  that when most people talk about hedging they are talking about long and short on the same symbol.

Thanks for the clarification.   I suppose having a 2 lot long position and then putting on a 3 lot short will close the original long and leave you 1 lot short in the second trade.

Is this a move by MQ to assist brokers?  That is, to improve simplicity, or is it to nix something in MT4 that some traders were trying to exploit?

Trevhib:

Thanks for the clarification.   I suppose having a 2 lot long position and then putting on a 3 lot short will close the original long and leave you 1 lot short in the second trade.

Is this a move by MQ to assist brokers?  That is, to improve simplicity, or is it to nix something in MT4 that some traders were trying to exploit?

I have read that it is a move by MetaQuotes to facilitate the use of MT5 on instruments other than Forex,  probably also to match USA no-hedging requirements.

The more I hear about MT5 the more I'm bemused.  MT4 is used on all manner of non-FOREX instruments.  When they designed MT5, how could they have managed to have gone backward on what symbols it's possible to trade on?!  This is semi-rhetorical.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a broker that supports MT5?

ppcassidy : Anyone have a good suggestion for a broker that supports MT5?
That would be advertising and thats against the rules of the forum.
Reason: