How do I specify a condition relative to last 5 bars?

Hello forum, I have put a similar post to this on the forum previously, but still struggling to understand "Lookback" function and whether it is actually what I want to use anyway.

If I want to have as part of a condition that the close price must have been higher than a moving average at least once during the last 5 bars

Do I simply specify it as

iClose>iMA(Symbol(),0,5,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,i)

If the Lookback value was specified as 5

OR

Do I need to some how use all shift values, like...

iClose>( iMA..shift1) && iMA(...shift 2) &&...iMA(..shift5))

Any help would be appreciated with this

thanks in advance

Dave

pullend:

Hello forum, I have put a similar post to this on the forum previously, but still struggling to understand "Lookback" function and whether it is actually what I want to use anyway.

If I want to have as part of a condition that the close price must have been higher than a moving average at least once during the last 5 bars

You need to clarify what you mean, sorry it isn't 100% clear.

Do you mean,

1. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for any of the last 5 bars . . . or

2. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for the same bar . . . or

3. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for a specified bar

You will most likely be using iHighest with type MODE_CLOSE and/or a for/while loop that counts 5 cycles.

explaining with a picture might be helpful when you ask such a question

RaptorUK:

You need to clarify what you mean, sorry it isn't 100% clear.

Do you mean,

1. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for any of the last 5 bars . . . or

2. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for the same bar . . . or

3. close for any of the last 5 bars > MA for a specified bar

You will most likely be using iHighest with type MODE_CLOSE and/or a for/while loop that counts 5 cycles.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I should have done as deVries suggested and put in a simple diagram.

I have attached a picture of what I am talking about.

In this example, say I was looking to enter short at bar 0, but only if the close of any of the previous 5 bars was > than the moving average.

In this example the nearest previous close of an individual bar above the moving average was 6 bars previous, so my entry condition would not be satisfied.

So what I would like to be able to specify in my code is:

that the close of any of the previous 5 bars must have been above the specified moving average

and this is what I am not sure how to define.

If you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated

regards

Dave

pullend:

So what I would like to be able to specify in my code is:

that the close of any of the previous 5 bars must have been above the specified moving average

Something like this would probably do it. I can't see a way of doing it on one line since the MA will change on each bar.

Regards, Paul.

bool EntryOK()
{
  for ( int i = 1; i <= 5; i++ )
  {     
          if ( Close[i] > iMA(NULL,0,5,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,i) ) return(true);
        }  
  return(false); 
}
Reason: