Short filename problem

When i compile a indicator MetaEditor change the long filename in short filename.

f.e.: "aaaaccccc bbbb.mq4" in "aaaacc~1.mq4"

do it is possible to avoid?

1. aaaaccc~1.mq4 is not a valid 8.3 name
  2. No it doesn't. From XP on the long filename and the shortened one BOTH exist in the directory (unless you disable short filenames)
  3. Where are you seeing the short name

WHRoeder:
  1. aaaaccc~1.mq4 is not a valid 8.3 name
the high quality of answers in this forum astonishes me every day

emmzettel:
the high quality of answers in this forum astonishes me every day
Google that and you'll find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007

onewithzachy:
Google that and you'll find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007
rofl, another one. by risk of going off-topic, is there any relation between WHRoeders wrong statement and the link you posted? no harm to you, onewith, but people shoud really need to take basic computer courses before getting entry here.

emmzettel:
rofl, another one. by risk of going off-topic, is there any relation between WHRoeders wrong statement and the link you posted? no harm to you, onewith, but people shoud really need to take basic computer courses before getting entry here.
OK. So what's your answer to the topic then ?

emmzettel: between WHRoeders wrong statement and the link
What do you think I stated wrong?

looks to me like the MT4 installation is messed up and the shell is passing short instead of long filenames to metaeditor. depends on the way metaeditor registered itself as the default application for mqh/mq4 files. if this is messed up, the result might be as experienced by the thread opener. my remote advice would be: install MT4 new

btw: he indeed "can see" the short filenames, so there is absolutely no reason to guess he's running NTFS with disabled short filenames. is that so difficult?

ps: in fact, the opposite is possible but i don't dare to assume it. it is indeed possible to disable long file names (yes it's true, google it) but nowadays i cannot imagine a reason anybody would intentionally do that.

emmzettel:

btw: he indeed "can see" the short filenames, so there is absolutely no reason to guess he's running NTFS with disabled short filenames. is that so difficult?

1. I never suggested he had disabled them. I had asked "Where are you seeing the short name"\
  2. Now answer my question "What do you think I stated wrong?"

it happens if I launch the file. mq4 from Explorer.
No problem if I open it from MetaEditor.
Reason: