what are the risk involved in using EA,s or Robot - page 2

solator:
Hi, I have written my own EA and it works fine BUT when I opened the live data for the first time there were some data missing and the EA got confused (it is based on the last 200 bars). Therefore I would suggest at first to make sure that you have complete data in your MT 4 and only then start your EA. I was fortunate enough that the new live account was not funded yet and so there was no chance for the EA to place an incorrect order... Pavel

Ok ! i had just started learning MQL4 it is interesting, i just finished theory part in last two days. I am trying to write and EA :) i just wrote few line and compiled it and there was no error. I add line after line to my code and check for any error. I have few questions which are hurdle in my forwrd march:

1) When i compile the code i dont know where the EXE gets stored?

2) Is there any debugging option available in Mql4 to know how the flow in the program moves ?

3) I am doing all this in my demo account, hope it is not a problem ?

4) The ver big problem i am facing is dont know how to connect my code to the tarding screen to get the data for moving ahead ! are thre any standard variables used which can be used in the program to fetch the data ? how can i have the list of such variables?

5) My first attempt while writting EA, will be to place and order (may be sell or buy ) for a particular pair at a particular time (any time of the trading hour.) with a proper lot size and TP ? so i am trying to this small program, but facing unexpected hurdles?

If you can guide me on this, it will be of great help.

nikhil123:

Ok ! i had just started learning MQL4 it is interesting, i just finished theory part in last two days. I am trying to write and EA :) i just wrote few line and compiled it and there was no error. I add line after line to my code and check for any error. I have few questions which are hurdle in my forwrd march:

1) When i compile the code i dont know where the EXE gets stored?

2) Is there any debugging option available in Mql4 to know how the flow in the program moves ?

3) I am doing all this in my demo account, hope it is not a problem ?

4) The ver big problem i am facing is dont know how to connect my code to the tarding screen to get the data for moving ahead ! are thre any standard variables used which can be used in the program to fetch the data ? how can i have the list of such variables?

5) My first attempt while writting EA, will be to place and order (may be sell or buy ) for a particular pair at a particular time (any time of the trading hour.) with a proper lot size and TP ? so i am trying to this small program, but facing unexpected hurdles?

If you can guide me on this, it will be of great help.

1. There is no EXE, the compiled file is an EX4 file and it is in the same folder as your source code file, the MQ4 file.

2. There is no debugging in MQL4, you need to get creative, make good use of all the return values available to you and use copious Print() statements as you go . . .

3. Demo account is fine . . but it is horribly slow, learn to use the Strategy Tester . . . it still works during the weekend.

4. Not exactly sure what you mean by this . . . but you need to learn the structure of the Documentation, the functions are arranged into sections, for example, access to time series data and order handling functions

5. Learn to do things properly from the start and you will have an easier life . . . read this What are Function return values ? How do I use them ?

Well done for having a go . . . if you need specific help/guidance don't hesitate to ask . . .

RaptorUK:

1. There is no EXE, the compiled file is an EX4 file and it is in the same folder as your source code file, the MQ4 file.

2. There is no debugging in MQL4, you need to get creative, make good use of all the return values available to you and use copious Print() statements as you go . . .

3. Demo account is fine . . but it is horribly slow, learn to use the Strategy Tester . . . it still works during the weekend.

4. Not exactly sure what you mean by this . . . but you need to learn the structure of the Documentation, the functions are arranged into sections, for example, access to time series data and order handling functions

5. Learn to do things properly from the start and you will have an easier life . . . read this What are Function return values ? How do I use them ?

Well done for having a go . . . if you need specific help/guidance don't hesitate to ask . . .

Thanks for the reply.

1) I am sorry, EX4 executable file. i searched i dint find any . I had searched my entire disk, the only file available was trialorder.mq4 (trial order is the programme name).

2) ok i will make use of print and return.

3) where is strategy tester option in mt4 ?

4) Ok! we have a event running every second (on trading terminal) like bars are moving up and down for a particular pair. my program (ie: EA) shuld be picking that every tick and analysing it and performing some action. Say for example. i am targeting pair EurUsd and i want to execute a sell or buy order at around 12:30 (say london open). how will my program fetch this data from terminal execute it if it is 12:30 and place a order of say sell with some TP . and comes out . Hope i am able to explain it now.

Note: I can see my program named trial order.mq4 on meta editor but cannot see on my disk location.

I am attaching my fewlines of code though it is error free, it is just a small assignment code, still very long way to go.:) i want to participate in EA championship hope before the last date i am upto that level :)

Files:
trial.doc.txt  2 kb

please i need to know how to write and implement my own EA, I already have a strategy that works for me but,i dont want to be looking at the computer

all day

thanks

08023105152:

please i need to know how to write and implement my own EA, I already have a strategy that works for me but,i dont want to be looking at the computer

Don't hijack someone else's thread . . .

Read and Learn: Book

nikhil123:

Thanks for the reply.

1) I am sorry, EX4 executable file. i searched i dint find any . I had searched my entire disk, the only file available was trialorder.mq4 (trial order is the programme name).

2) ok i will make use of print and return.

3) where is strategy tester option in mt4 ?

4) Ok! we have a event running every second (on trading terminal) like bars are moving up and down for a particular pair. my program (ie: EA) shuld be picking that every tick and analysing it and performing some action. Say for example. i am targeting pair EurUsd and i want to execute a sell or buy order at around 12:30 (say london open). how will my program fetch this data from terminal execute it if it is 12:30 and place a order of say sell with some TP . and comes out . Hope i am able to explain it now.

Note: I can see my program named trial order.mq4 on meta editor but cannot see on my disk location.

5. I am attaching my fewlines of code though it is error free, it is just a small assignment code, still very long way to go.:) i want to participate in EA championship hope before the last date i am upto that level :)

1. The EX4 is only created when there are no compile errors. If you have no compiler errors and you have installed MT4 in Program Files and you are running Vista or Windows 7 that may explain your issue . . . Don't install in Program Files, install in C:\MT4Installs\

3. Strategy tester can be brought up using Ctrl + R or going to View > Strategy Tester

4. For each tick the special function start() is run . . . within start() you add code to check when your chosen event/conditions are met so you can place a trade . . . if you want to do something at a particular time you need to use the Date & Time functions and code a test using these functions.

5. The EA championship is only open to MT5 MQL5 coded EAs . .

RaptorUK:
Really ? come on, tell the truth, don't be shy . . .
Hi raptor i have nothing to hide but since admin warned me about posting links ill kindly ask you to go to myfxbook.com and search for xbug ultimate you will see performance from december 2011.
Reason: