My EA does not open trades but works in strategy tester

Hi All,

I am new to mql language and took an attempt to create my own EA based on various pdf and forum here. I have managed to built an EA that works in strategy tester but when I put it to work as EA then it does not open any trades. When I then test the same day in strategy tester - trades are open.

I have a smiley face in top right corner - i.e. trades have been enabled. Here is an extract of the code that I am using.

It is supposed to open a trade once a close of previous bar is higher or lower than max/min of last 10 bars (variables HighestSince and LowestSince). Values for StopLoss and TakeProfit will be variable in the final code but i put is like that for simplicity.

int start()
{
if(Bars !=ThisBarTrade)
{
ThisBarTrade = Bars;
if(Close[1]>=iHigh(NULL,0,iHighest(NULL,0,2,HighestSince,3)))
{
StopLoss=Bid+0.0090;
TakeProfit=Ask-0.0095;
OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,0.01,Bid,5,StopLoss,TakeProfit,"TEST",NULL,NULL,Blue);
}
if(Close[1]<=iLow(NULL,0,iLowest(NULL,0,1,LowestSince,3)))
{
StopLoss=Bid-0.0090;
TakeProfit=Ask+0.0090;
OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.01,Ask,5,StopLoss,TakeProfit,"TEST",NULL,NULL,Blue);
}
}
return(0);
}

WHERE IS THE BUG?

Before posting please read some of the other threads . . . then you would have seen numerous requests like this one:

Please use this to post code . . . it makes it easier to read.

4xpipshunter:

Hi All,

I am new to mql language and took an attempt to create my own EA based on various pdf and forum here. I have managed to built an EA that works in strategy tester but when I put it to work as EA then it does not open any trades. When I then test the same day in strategy tester - trades are open.

I have a smiley face in top right corner - i.e. trades have been enabled. Here is an extract of the code that I am using.

It is supposed to open a trade once a close of previous bar is higher or lower than max/min of last 10 bars (variables HighestSince and LowestSince). Values for StopLoss and TakeProfit will be variable in the final code but i put is like that for simplicity.

WHERE IS THE BUG?

You should read this and follow it . . : What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? and read this: ECN

OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,0.01,Bid,5,StopLoss,TakeProfit,"TEST",NULL,NULL,Blue);

What is for you the value "NULL" ??

Do you think it is the same as 0

If so.... Then what is the value of your NULL inside this

iHigh(NULL,0,iHighest(NULL,0,2,HighestSince,3)))
This is not the only issue there can be..... Read the links RaptorUK is given you

deVries:

What is for you the value "NULL" ??

Do you think it is the same as 0

If so.... Then what is the value of your NULL inside this

This is not the only issue there can be..... Read the links RaptorUK is given you

I have filled in the NULLs as per mql help

so in

iHigh(NULL,0,iHighest(NULL,0,2,HighestSince,3)))

the first NULL (bold above) is to mean that current symbol should work, i.e. not for a specific currency pair

the second NULL (bold italic above) is meant to do the same, i.e. current symbol

I understand that iHighest gives me the position of the bar and by using the combination of iHigh and iHighest I can get the actual highest value which is then used as trigger

for the ordersend() you are right - it should be rather 0 than NULL

Thanks deVries!

1. Use SRC
  2. Bad arguments
  3. What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? - MQL4 forum
  4. Not adjusting for 4/5 digit brokers TP,SL, AND slippage. 5 = 1/2 pip
  5. Not adjusting for ECN brokers

Reason: