custom indicators - crossing a round number

Hi guys,

Another newbee question if I may.

I want to write a custom indicator that will track for each bar in the chart whether price crosses a round number.

I can do the round number bit because I just go to the textbook and use the MathMod formula, but I don't know how to store this for each bar in an array... if that's even what I need to do.

Can someone suggest an approach pls?

Thank you.

What do you define as a round number ? when price crosses (or touches ? ) this "round number" what do you want the Indicator to display ?

RaptorUK:
What do you define as a round number ? when price crosses (or touches ? ) this "round number" what do you want the Indicator to display ?

Wow, you're friendly :-)

Thank you for putting up with my crap questions. I'm doing my best and I think I got a step further. It will hopefully answer your question too.

What is a round number? Well it's supposed to be (say in the case of AUDNZD 1.29000 or 1.30000 or 1.31000). But it turns out that since the prices are calculated to 5 acct digits, my formula didn't work as I wanted it too. See the picture.

Also, you've asked what I want the indicator to display? I simply need to to say 'yes' or 'no' for each bar, so I though I was very clever using the new bar thingy in the book, but I'm still thinking about how I can store this stuff. This is because at any one time I may need to refer to the 'round' boolean array for say 5 or 10 bars ago. Does this make sense?

Melymoo:

Wow, you're friendly :-)

Thank you for putting up with my crap questions. I'm doing my best and I think I got a step further. It will hopefully answer your question too.

What is a round number? Well it's supposed to be (say in the case of AUDNZD 1.29000 or 1.30000 or 1.31000). But it turns out that since the prices are calculated to 5 acct digits, my formula didn't work as I wanted it too. See the picture.

Also, you've asked what I want the indicator to display? I simply need to to say 'yes' or 'no' for each bar, so I though I was very clever using the new bar thingy in the book, but I'm still thinking about how I can store this stuff. This is because at any one time I may need to refer to the 'round' boolean array for say 5 or 10 bars ago. Does this make sense?

It's probably something like this ...

#property indicator_separate_window
#property indicator_buffers 1
#property indicator_color1 Red

double round[];
int scale=1;
#define ROUNDNESS 1000

//--------------------------------------------------------------------
int init(){

SetIndexStyle(0,DRAW_LINE);
   SetIndexBuffer(0,round);
   SetIndexLabel (1,"Round");  

IndicatorShortName("Round");
   IndicatorDigits(1);

int factor[]={1,10,100,1000,10000,100000,1000000};
   scale = factor[Digits];
   return(0);
}
int deinit(){

return(0);
}
bool CrossedRound(int bar){
   int high = scale * High[bar];    // scale takes the floating point value and makes it an INT without loss of precision
   int low  = scale * Low[bar];

high /= ROUNDNESS;
   low  /= ROUNDNESS;

if( high==low )
      return( false );

return( true );
}
int start(){
   int counted_bars=IndicatorCounted();

for( int n=Bars-counted_bars; n>=0; n-- ){
      if( CrossedRound(n) )
         round[n] = 1.0;
      else
         round[n] = 0.0;
   }

return(0);
}

dabbler:

It's probably something like this ...

You just wrote it! (Yes!!) Thanks heaps. But since I'm new I don't understand all of it immediately. So I'm going to read it again and again and I'll come back if i have questions. If you don't hear from me it will be cos I've worked it out. M
Reason: