DDE Servers

I'm new to MetaTrader. I'm wondering about one thing - DDE Servers. As far as I know data feeds are expensive things and from the other side if I can export data from MetaTrader using those DDE Servers stuff.

1) Is this legal?
2) Am I able to obtain tick data with OHLC from MetaTrader using DDE Server?
3) Can I write my own DDE Server?

You can write code (maybe some combination of mql4 and and some external code in a dll and attach it as an EA to the charts) that would act as a server and send the tick data (or even other data from your account, open orders, etc.) to somewhere else or even make it able to receive trade commands from a client application too. This is possible without major problems for any experienced coder, its just a matter of how many man-hours you want to invest into such a project.

But I personally would not use DDE or any other windows proprietary protocol for this, I would make it a TCP/IP server which would be much more flexible, it could then be accessed over the network from other computers, running other operating systems or even from devices like smartphones over the internet, etc.

I don't see any legal problems as long as you do it for yourself (or sell the application for others to do it for themselves) and NOT stream YOUR (your broker's) quotes to OTHERS (you should ask your broker fo permission when redistributing (streaming) the broker's quotes to other people).

7bit, thank You for Your reply.

Of course I want to make captured data to be accessible via TCP/IP server and it'll stand as my private data feed for my application(s).

I think I can manage to write own DDE server. However I'm wondering if the simplier way could be use existing MT4 DDE Server. All I want to export is SYMBOL, DATETIME and OHLC. But how to capture the data from MT4 build-in DDE Server? Can sbdy point me to tutorials or materials in this matter?

OR.. if this is not good idea - please point me to tutorials on how write own DDE server :)

Thanks in advice.

Reason: