Can someone explain this to me. - page 2

danjp:

I just got it working a few minutes ago, lol. I rebooted the friggen server. Dropped my EA back on and everything seams to be working ok now. I also had them set me up with a demo account on the VPS itself. I was having a order issue that I need to test to see if I fixed it, only on the VPS. Now that I have a demo on the VPS it should be easier/less expensive to force trades to check my order logic. There is some difference between the VPS and the client MT4 on my laptop that I havent figured out yet. but it should not be long now.

I also did a small test about 30 minutes ago to see if the ticks where faster or slower on the VPS machine vs my demo account on my laptop. Big difference. The demo stopped getting ticks for about 20 seconds on my laptop and the VPS MT4 was fine. the EUR mover 5 or 6 pips on the VPS while my client side was sleeping. My VPS is free so I plan on using that for my real account.

Glad to hear... ;_)

Does your broker VPS sets limits on the number of copies of EAs that can run? Or size/bytes limit?

diostar:

Glad to hear... ;_)

Does your broker VPS sets limits on the number of copies of EAs that can run? Or size/bytes limit?

No you can have multiple instances of MT4 on the server. The only limit I am aware of is a 1 GB limit on storage space. They warn you a 750MB so you can delete old log files.
A balance over 5K the VPS is free. otherwise it is $30 a month.

danjp:
No you can have multiple instances of MT4 on the server. The only limit I am aware of is a 1 GB limit on storage space. They warn you a 750MB so you can delete old log files.
A balance over 5K the VPS is free. otherwise it is $30 a month.

I see. That does make it worth than to have MT4 client running all the time. Save the electricity, PC, etc.

My only suspicions is the security - like someone take a copy, decompile and run it against the market or something. That stops me from going VPS, though it definitely a cost-saver, esp. if its free.

diostar:

I see. That does make it worth than to have MT4 client running all the time. Save the electricity, PC, etc.

My only suspicions is the security - like someone take a copy, decompile and run it against the market or something. That stops me from going VPS, though it definitely a cost-saver, esp. if its free.

No decompile nessary they could just take it and figure out the externs, mine are very obvious. I worry more about them updating something on the sever and stopping my ea with trades open. That would really ##$#$ me off. They have one weekend a month when they update software Friday night -> Sunday. You just need to check and make sure your EA is running on that Sunday night. None of my EA's hold trades over the weekend so that is not a big concern for me.
Reason: