Suggestions for EA (Loosing to Profit) - page 3

danjp:

After you improve the modeling quality like RaptorUK suggested. Also take a look at the number of trades, the first set had 1886 trades, thats a pretty good amount of trades tested. Your run had 39 trades, I'm not sure what the dates tested are but I would test much longer dates so you get more trades tested, 39 is really not a good sample.

The forward test totals 156 trades is much much more reliable, than those 39 backtests trades. The whole idea of backtest is to put in as much trades as you can, and get their quick results. What is backtesting for?

You guys should turn this into a little project of creating a winning system out of this. Everyone starts with the current version of the EA and then add something to it. Then you guys select the strongest coder amongst yall to assemble the best ideas. When yall accomplish the goal then place it into the code base. It'll be quite interesting to see what comes out.

I would look for an other way of entering the market. When the signal is given by these indicators it is already too late. I always use limit orders in anticipation of what the market is going to do. Some may laugh at taking this approach but it has worked for me. Remember it is not a sprint it is a marathon.

ubzen:
You guys should turn this into a little project of creating a winning system out of this. Everyone starts with the current version of the EA and then add something to it. Then you guys select the strongest coder amongst yall to assemble the best ideas. When yall accomplish the goal then place it into the code base. It'll be quite interesting to see what comes out.

If you had taken your time at this EA, testing it, finding its logic, patterns, codes, etc, and what not, you probably will not have mentioned all these. Maybe the opposite, even.

I rather collaborate, or at least motivated to see, if it had been a blank EA - just 1 simplest line of logic to start of (eg. buy/sell at a new bar, etc, & that's it), i won't mind to chip in more from there.

And I also believe, those who wants fresh taste buds, will be interested. Beside, this EA is filled with tons of indicators conditions, and, they can be fickler than a woman's mind.

mbirrell:

I would look for an other way of entering the market. When the signal is given by these indicators it is already too late. I always use limit orders in anticipation of what the market is going to do. Some may laugh at taking this approach but it has worked for me. Remember it is not a sprint it is a marathon.

I agree with you on indicators. I use one simple ma in my current EA, only as a dynamic setting for a StopLoss. Glad to see your EA is doing well. I remember your posts from another thread and was inpressed with it's performance.

ubzen:

Interesting idea, If c0d3 is ok with it I would give it a try. I should be able to replace my rules function with the rules from his. That would give it rules trading hours, email notification, error checking, stacking, limit and pending orders trailing stop, stop etc. It would probably only take a day ot two to get those rules working in my EA shell. I could then look at tweaking the rules to try an make it more profitable.

danjp:

Interesting idea, If c0d3 is ok with it I would give it a try. I should be able to replace my rules function with the rules from his. That would give it rules trading hours, email notification, error checking, stacking, limit and pending orders trailing stop, stop etc. It would probably only take a day ot two to get those rules working in my EA shell. I could then look at tweaking the rules to try an make it more profitable.

if you had seen his "rules", they are something like this (for the case of sell):

if((Close[0]<=fastMA30 && Close[0]<=fastMA60 && Close[0]<=fastMA240))
   {
      // we are in a downtrend
      //Comment("\n"+"short only");
      shortEntry();
   }

Mathematically speaking, this is quite a nonsense. The reason is because the MA on higher frame as expectedly, slower due to longer time required to complete a bar, than lower ones. So, all in all, this logic ends up being primarily determined by this lower condition:

if((Close[0]<=fastMA30 && Close[0]<=fastMA60

Hence, by that time, MA shows the past from the perspectives of MA240, then 60, then 30, market WAS a sell one. My suggestion can be simply "reverse" this nonsensical rule, so instead of short entry, go long, and vice versa. I am quite positive the result turns out prettier.

I tweaked the frame from 60 to 240, get rid of that nonsensically redundant MA conditions, keeping only MA60, the results looks slightly better, than the previous. (Note: this just 1 year test).

@diostar, interesting ideas and take on the MTF Logics. This is something I've noticed about MTF Logics, One timeframe usually dominate the system.

@danjp, yeah that's probably the fastest way of getting the Rules into a working program you trust. Since most of us already have a Template upon which to plug a logic into. If someone don't feel comfortable giving away their codes, one suggestion would be having who ever assemble the codes use Trusted Libraries from our code base. (Example: OrderReliable.mqh.).

You know what! I kinda like this idea. If I can get 3 people to sign on from here, I'll start a New Thread. We collaborate in the effort of trying to create a profitable EA. It'll be a good test to see if multiple traders could really trade the same system. :)

ubzen:

@diostar, interesting ideas and take on the MTF Logics. This is something I've noticed about MTF Logics, One timeframe usually dominate the system.

You misunderstood. MTF is not the reason, or even a problem. The prb is just MA. Let me try to explain, very briefly.

MA tells the past. So when take on MA signal say on a H1, the expectation, E, is that on next frame, say H4, will "agree" with the past of H1. To profit is when H1 past manifest on H4 current. When E occurs, means close the trade, or do whatever the strategy wants.

But in this case, the poster took the reverse. Its pretty basic trade flaws because all the expectations are jumbled up.

Reason: