MT4 Strategy Tester Stops When First Order Opened

The EA I am developing should place one or two trades per day. The strategy tester stops as soon as the first order is opened. What conditions would cause it to do that?

A condition in your code that allows orders to be placed is no longer being met . . . if you want more specific help you will need to show some/all of your code.

GarthThe1st:

The EA I am developing should place one or two trades per day. The strategy tester stops as soon as the first order is opened. What conditions would cause it to do that?

I found this with the sample "Moving Average.mq4" EA (before trying my own!). In the journal, I had the following lines prior to the EA running:

2011.08.01 09:28:07     Tester: margin exchange rate cannot be calculated
2011.08.01 09:28:07     Tester: exchange rate cannot be calculated

I had to go to "Tester/Settings/Expert properties/Testing" dialog and set the currency to my local currency (had to change from USD to GBP in my case) - and then I started getting a series of trades.

GarthThe1st:
Look in the journal, a divide by zero stops the tester.

I have the same problem an in my code isn't a division by zero.

The metatrader is disconnected from the broker, because I want to use it only for testing.

The ea is working on the same underlying with another metatrader account.

sunshineh:

I have the same problem an in my code isn't a division by zero.

The metatrader is disconnected from the broker, because I want to use it only for testing.

The ea is working on the same underlying with another metatrader account.

I had a similar issue in my code last night,  I had written a new function with a while loop in it but had forgotten to add the Shift++  so the while just ran and ran and ran . . .

Is your EA stopping (terminating)  or just sitting there working your CPU ? 

First I am getting the following messages

"Tester: margin exchange rate cannot be calculated 

Tester: exchange rate cannot be calculated"

Then the EA is opening and modifying the first position and close it in the same second! - That's it.

The same behaviour is, when I try the "MACD Sample". My ea is working fine on other accounts!

sunshineh:

First I am getting the following messages

"Tester: margin exchange rate cannot be calculated 

Tester: exchange rate cannot be calculated"

Then the EA is opening and modifying the first position and close it in the same second! - That's it.

The same behaviour is, when I try the "MACD Sample". My ea is working fine on other accounts!

Ah OK.  It may well be that you are looking for info on a symbol that you haven't already got in your symbols  file . . .  I suspect you will need to re-connect to your Broker to get the information.

I disconnected the account because I have imported my own backtest quotes. When I connect it, it also imports the last days of their qoutes.

sunshineh:
I disconnected the account because I have imported my own backtest quotes. When I connect it, it also imports the last days of their qoutes.
Yes . . . so shutdown MT4 backup you hst files,  restart MT4 and connect . . .  when you are done, disconnect,  shut down MT4 and restore your hst files . . .  it's not difficult.
Reason: